New cams

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
fig

#11 Post by fig »

Are you using all stock componets (valves, springs, retainers)? Did you shim the springs? Have you verified that that bucket isn't sticking now?

cannondale27

#12 Post by cannondale27 »

You cant tell if a bucket is sticking unless you remove the valve spring and push the bucket down to where it goes at full lift.

CDALE022002

#13 Post by CDALE022002 »

I'm using the springs , retainers , valves that were originally in my blaze . I was told to shim the valves on this rebuild and I was planning on asking you guys the best method to clean up the bucket hole so it doesn't stick but I also worry about taking off to much material.

cdrider02

#14 Post by cdrider02 »

We've been using a brake cylinder hone with the fine stones and have had very good results.

cannondale27

Cam Specs

#15 Post by cannondale27 »

Okay I found them but this is old stuff about 3years old.This was one set of FX cams recent ones I checked were same as new.

cannondale27

#16 Post by cannondale27 »

I just cant agree with using a hone to fix the sticky bucket bore.A hone doesnt just remove metal from the high spot it removes it from the rest also.Proper way to do this is to locate the spot it sticks and just touch it with a stone right on the spot or best method is to take it to a machine shop which can indicate off the good part of bore and just remove the metal at the high spot.

Exodus

#17 Post by Exodus »

What is the correct service limit for cams? Mine spec out taller than what the manual states at the service limit. I'm just curious if I have a set of these infamuous old FX cams. The only place where they show any wear is on the lobe tip. The rest of the cams just shows slight wear if any.

cannondale27

#18 Post by cannondale27 »

You cant go by the manual since the manual is wrong except for some intake cams.I go by the chamfer rule.If chamfer on edge of lobe is gone cam is shot.

Exodus

#19 Post by Exodus »

The chamfer is peprfect all the way around the lobe. I was just curious if there was actually a number somewhere someone had on what the service limit should have been.