Soooo Does everyone's Cannondale like to stop working miles away from home?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
djjeff4i

Soooo Does everyone's Cannondale like to stop working miles away from home?

#1 Post by djjeff4i »

Hahaha,
Oh man, I swear this quad will be the end of me one day. I've had problem after problem. So I live in CT and we got oh about 2 feet of snow this past weekend...GREAT! Perfect for quading...my buddy just bought a 300ex (POS I leave it in the dust when my quad runs). So I was leaving my house 3am to go out on the quad and I made it to my friends house no problem, we went to a parking lot and we were playing around and for some reason the quad just turned off...No Big deal right....well then I tried to restart it and it just has a spining sound like it wasn't turning over at ALL. So I went on the back of the 300ex and picked up my buddies truck grabbed the quad and ending my night short. I plugged the quad into my battery tender over night and it started the next morning! So I left the house again to go meet up with my friend, as I was driving down the street the quad just decided to turn off and with my luck didn't want to start again, but this time it sounded like it wanted to start, It was turning over but not starting kinda like the plugg was fouled...So I had to bring it home once again and now it sits in my garage inoperable....What should I do? Why is it sooo unreliable? Whenever it stalls out or turns off it never wants to start again, is this common?

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Sounds like starter clutch stuck first time and it possibly just got flooded second time.Running a cr8ek plug?Have you tuned it recently?I recommend both.Starter clutch hopefully was just a one time thing.

djjeff4i

#3 Post by djjeff4i »

The starter clutch has made that noise/problem maybe once before but it usually just eventually kicked in and fired up. I am running CR8ek that should be one plugg hotter that stock correct? As for the tune-up, how would I go about performing this and what does it include? I spoke with the previous owner and he said he had a similar problem in the snow and he suggested that cannondales do not run will or at all in cold snowy weather, is this true?

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

In general they dont have any trouble with cold weather . You just need them in good tune with proper mapping and spark plug. For cold weather starting prime the fuel system at least 3 times before the initial crank and it should fire right up. Do not crank the engine for more than 5 seconds . Beyond 5 seconds will foul the plug.

cdaleman440

#5 Post by cdaleman440 »

My dale always like to breake down far away from the truck or anybody like when i snapped my axel i was on the side of the mountain and then i figured i would limp home and my battey died on me so i had to walk a mile up hill to go get the farmer with his tractor :mad:
But she it runnin right now haha
Austin

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

Its a Murphys Law thing.biggrin.gif

MI_CDALE_Rider

#7 Post by MI_CDALE_Rider »

It sounds like every other quad out there.. go peek at the different EX and YFZ forums.. same thing "my POS quad died when I ....."

Check the obvious things like grounds and battery terminal connections, weak battery? Are you running stock map or ?

I have no issues in the snow with my dale in fact I think it likes it and is part sled LOL

djjeff4i

#8 Post by djjeff4i »

Battery seems to be good, I keep it on a tender when I am not riding...I think it may have something to do with something getting wet and shorting out, I say this because I washed my quad the other day and then I drove it down the street and it turned off, I had to walk it home and the next day it started fine...Strange

MI_CDALE_Rider

#9 Post by MI_CDALE_Rider »

Originally posted by djjeff4i
Battery seems to be good, I keep it on a tender when I am not riding...I think it may have something to do with something getting wet and shorting out, I say this because I washed my quad the other day and then I drove it down the street and it turned off, I had to walk it home and the next day it started fine...Strange

Hmm interesting, I assume you are using a power washer?
did you check the grounds?

How about your ECU connections?

djjeff4i

#10 Post by djjeff4i »

I am using a regular hose...which grounds should I check, I looked at the main battery ground and it seems tight and fine. Which ecu connectiontions the ones near the air filter?