Motors back in but won't start

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
djmc

Motors back in but won't start

#1 Post by djmc »

I got my motor back in after a 460 kit and porting and it acted like it is just fouling the plug. I get that backfire out the exhaust. I checked to see if maybe the throttle was hung up and not closing all the way but that seemed ok. Maybe the there is a lot of oil in the cylinders from the shop. Any other ideas?

wanablaze

#2 Post by wanablaze »

Cam timing?

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

Basics basics. Do you have all the connectors for the injectors plugged in and to the correct parts. Did you do a throttle cal.Trouble codes? Is the manifold and throttle body boots on fully and secured . Is all the battery and ecm wires connected. Are both fuel quick connects plugged into the correct recepticles on the tank.When you check all that then move on about cam timing and motor internals..

djmc

#4 Post by djmc »

I will double double check my electrical and boot connections and I have never done a throttle calibration before but I have a brand new D&M kit I got at the end of last season that I better learn how to use. Thanks for the tips.

kdeal

#5 Post by kdeal »

You must do a throttle cal if the motor has had any work done at all, especially the porting. You will most likely need to upgrade the map to one of the maps that were designed for porting. You should really do a throttle cal every time you change the oil. But upon rebuilding your motor there have been many variables that have changed. Good Luck

CptHook

#6 Post by CptHook »

Originally posted by kdeal
You must do a throttle cal if the motor has had any work done at all... You should really do a throttle cal every time you change the oil. But upon rebuilding your motor there have been many variables that have changed. Good Luck

Is this an absolute truth? Im inquiring because once I get my motor back from Tim I was just planning on bolting up and going, I still dont have a D&M.

Derno24

#7 Post by Derno24 »

Originally posted by CptHook
Is this an absolute truth? Im inquiring because once I get my motor back from Tim I was just planning on bolting up and going, I still dont have a D&M.

What kind of motor work are you having done? It all depends. If you are doing port work then I would say definitely a remap is in order. If it is just a stroker than a stock blaze or moto map can work for the time being. If you want pm me and I will go into alot more detail.

As for the recal. I have seen with any motor change that as long as you do not move the idle screw you should be ok for the time being. I would say every time you change the oil is excessive, but a good habit. I personally don't mess with my throttle cal unless I am either doing a remap or if the quad is stalling alot. Just my personal opinion on the recal thing as I am sure you will find alot of different opinions on this. I have seen people drop their motors put a new one in and run it as is. We did this at the 12 hrs and the quad fired right up so it can be done.

CptHook

#8 Post by CptHook »

Well I had it stroked by Timbo and he remapped my ECU as well. I was more concerned about the throttle cal. I guess I wont know until I bolt it back up and give her a run.

Derno24

#9 Post by Derno24 »

Like I said before if the idle screw hasn't been messed with it should be ok. If you moved it from it's starting position it may not fire due to being out of adjustment. Only way to fix that is to recal.

CptHook

#10 Post by CptHook »

ok, sounds good. Sorry for hijacking your post!