Has anyone used the Optima O2 sensor?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
elkapower

Has anyone used the Optima O2 sensor?

#1 Post by elkapower »

I am looking to find out if anyone has used the O2 sensor in the pipe like the factory did in the dyno room to keep the F/A mixture continuosly adjusted? Has anyone experimented with the closed loop fuel injection system Optima has available?

Or, has anyone adapted the K/N air fuel meter, which also uses an O2 sensor, to annunciate the A/F levels.
I just bought myself Moto to play with, I want a duel exhaust to split the dB levels( won't be a perfect split, but with a couple of small cans, it will quiet it down a lot), which will require a front mount fuel supply quick disconnect.
:confused:

azcannon

#2 Post by azcannon »

sounds like you need a tank from a 03 for the front fuel connects, I always thought the factory used a air/fuel meter I didn't know you could plug in a o2 sensor to the optima system?

jwheat

#3 Post by jwheat »

Our Optimum computer system does a channel to receive input from an O2 sensor, but the software is not capable of reading it and making adjustments. I called and talked to Scooter one time about it and he said that they wanted to set it up like that, but Cannondale was in too big a hurry and wanted to use the sysem just like it was. The software to run our quads in a closed loop system was being developed and would have been integrated in our systems had Cannondale stayed in business a little longer. The only thing our system needs is for someone to write the software to run in a closed loop system......everything else we need except for an O2 sensor is already there.

azcannon

#4 Post by azcannon »

so are we one hex code, a 02 sensor , and a couple of wires away from having a computer controlled mixture in our engines also set by the map?

I want 2 for my quads

jwheat

#5 Post by jwheat »

Originally posted by azcannon
so are we one hex code, a 02 sensor , and a couple of wires away from having a computer controlled mixture in our engines also set by the map?

That about sums it up.

elkapower

Code is written

#6 Post by elkapower »

After reading the engineering books on the current population of fuel injection systems, like 7 big guys, all they are doing is lookign at the A/F ration and moving it, filling in the blanks for the 3 D Map, can the Optima do that, or is there already a base map that needs tweaking? Surely a big company like Optima already has it in Europe since their carburation laws are more strict. Or are we too far to get this in our quads. I am game, if Optima is looking for a place to start.
THe feedback loop can be cloned from some other systems, the theory is not too far off between mfrs, or are they?
Is Optima at the dealer show, I am there Sunday.

jwheat

#7 Post by jwheat »

According to Scooter at Optimum, they already have closed loop software but it is not written for our systems. I don't understand everything about it, but I can't beleive that it would be that hard to take existing closed loop software.....overwrite our maps in it...... add an O2 sensor (the wire is already in our harness)...and download it into our ecm.

claas900

#8 Post by claas900 »

..There are a few other bikes that use our ECU,Segem MC1000.

Triump T595
Daytona 955
Fitigers,Sprints and tt600
Aprilia's Futurs and Caponord

....But as far as i know noone of these bikes use an o2 sensor

Derno24

#9 Post by Derno24 »

That is because a machine can be tuned for better performance not using an afr meter. Every race machine I have ever dealt with they eliminate them. No street bike has one in them.

02Cannibal

#10 Post by 02Cannibal »

Ron is right, plus AFR readings and adjustments are good when you are crusing at one speed for a length of time. When your on and off the throttle all the time like we are in the dirt, it's better to just have a lookup table.