starter one way bearing help

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
camaroguy1

starter one way bearing help

#1 Post by camaroguy1 »

i need some help or advice the starter one way bearing went out on my 03 cannibal motor just had all updates done and now this happens to me how hard is it to replace ?is it worth fixing or just give up also can i replace it without tearing the whole motor apart? please let me know what all is involved in replacing that part (parts and labor) or how much would it cost me to take and get it fixed somewhere ? thanks chuck

Canniboomer

#2 Post by Canniboomer »

... a motor pull and full teardown is needed. What kind of work was done to it? Was it sluggish to turn over before the 1-way failed?

camaroguy1

#3 Post by camaroguy1 »

motor was suposed to have been completely rebuilt i bought it off of skippy on the forums it actually ran great for the 30 minutes i got to ride it shut it done for a little while went to start it back up later started right up and stalled tried agian motor turned over stightly then the starter just spun i put a brand new battery in it same thing so i started checking things out and the gear that the one one bearing is on spins in both directions only grabs once in a while i even read the owners manual before even trying to start the quad for the first time to get familar with the quad so i would not make any mistakes i know how to work on bikes and build motors but this is totally differant from any motor i ever worked on the main thing is i dont want to give upon it if it comes down to it i will just sell it as is thanks chuck

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

Originally posted by camaroguy1
i know how to work on bikes and build motors but this is totally differant from any motor i ever worked on the main thing is i dont want to give upon it if it comes down to it i will just sell it as is thanks chuck

Yes they are different. In many ways easier to work on. Just takes some common sense and a service/parts manual. If you have done a full rebuild on any split case motor than these will be easily doable. A lot less parts to mess with since the tranny can stay in and the whole head comes off without disassembly.

A lot of guys would be salivating to pick up a nice quad like that with such a problem. Although a lot of labor is involved its easy on the wallet for parts.

camaroguy1

#5 Post by camaroguy1 »

ok thanks very much for all your help i order the parts today i got everything i needed for under $200 the bearings gaskets and seals and i have all the manuals on my computer so i will give it a try again thanks very much for your help chuck