The shifter sticks . . .

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
cannon

The shifter sticks . . .

#1 Post by cannon »

So I got it to run and it runs excellent, but the shifter stays up when I up shift and down when I down shift. I can easily move it back into place, it just doesn't spring back on its own like it should. Any ideas or fixes?

Happyboy

#2 Post by Happyboy »

did you powdercoat the side cover? If not then it sounds like the internal mechanism is acting up. Unfortunately its behind the clutch boss.

Canniboomer

#3 Post by Canniboomer »

other causes; shift collar missing, or shift spacer added too thick, and too tight of a pinch between sidecover and tranny. If all that OK, you might try a 1/2 quart overfill of Marvel Mystery Oil, and idle 5 minutes and flush.

Yo Happy? any more chic pics? err, I mean, business trip pics?

cannon

#4 Post by cannon »

I didn't powdercoat the side cover. I put the collar on, I didn't add any to the collar I just used the collar that came out of it. I'll pull the clutch basket and have a look. Thanks for the tips. Oh and where do I get that marvel mystery oil. I talked to someone at blackwidow I believe it was chord and he said the thrust washer(collar?) may need to be lubricated a little more, which is what I'm assuming the 1/2 quart overfill will do.

cannon

#5 Post by cannon »

Well the shifter started working. I do have another question. The tank where i put the water for the cooling system in has a vent and that vent is plugged, should it be?

Canniboomer

#6 Post by Canniboomer »

that depends... if your impeller cover has a bleed nipple pointing out 2 o'clock from the top right, then you are missing a bleed hose, or it's tucked away somewhere. If you don't have a bleed nipple or hose, then leave the bottle nipple plugged (to handle up to 20psi). Manual , or auto-bleed, you have to verify that the impeller housing is purged of air and circulating coolant.