Stroker puking til almost dry

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
CptHook

#1 Post by CptHook »

Well I was at the track yesterday, and my bike puked a crapload of oil out into my airbox. Now mind you this was after I just changed the oil the day before so I may have over filled it, but after checking the dipstick the oil was just kissing the tip of the dipstick, like I mean I had to point the tip of it at myself to actually see that oil was even hitting it. Would overfilling it cause it to puke that much oil?
With the bike running I could see oil flowing through the passageway with my dipstick out. This is a new stroker and does NOT have the oil line update. Could this be the problem?

Also if you overfill the tranny, where will that puke out to? Im going to clean everything off since the front of the bike is a complete mess right now, by looking at it you would think that I ran through a giant mud hole there is so much oil on the front of my quad. I will start it and let it warm up again and see where my level is at, and post back here. Any other simple things I can check?

RoooStEr Pops

#2 Post by RoooStEr Pops »

QUOTE (CptHook @ Apr 28 2006, 09:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I was at the track yesterday, and my bike puked a crapload of oil out into my airbox. Now mind you this was after I just changed the oil the day before so I may have over filled it, but after checking the dipstick the oil was just kissing the tip of the dipstick, like I mean I had to point the tip of it at myself to actually see that oil was even hitting it. Would overfilling it cause it to puke that much oil?
With the bike running I could see oil flowing through the passageway with my dipstick out. This is a new stroker and does NOT have the oil line update. Could this be the problem?

Also if you overfill the tranny, where will that puke out to? Im going to clean everything off since the front of the bike is a complete mess right now, by looking at it you would think that I ran through a giant mud hole there is so much oil on the front of my quad. I will start it and let it warm up again and see where my level is at, and post back here. Any other simple things I can check?

pull the clutch cover and check the oil pump gears

dalewannbe

#3 Post by dalewannbe »

Yes, its kinda like a syphon, when it starts puking it will keep pulling the oil. I had it happen to my stroker. I made sure the the oil had drained out of the air filter vent hose and made sure I had the correct amount of oil in the quad. I didn't have any more problems. You can pull the clutch cover and check your oil pump grears for peace of mind also.

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

One thing you need to understand is the oil should be flowing through the upper chamber and down the drain hole as you look at it throught he dipstick hole. The crankcase breather hose is capable of blasting enough oil through the breather system and into the frame that it will look like there is oil flowing but it will be below that hole and not above like the way the scavange pumps do.

If you have the easy to see river then the scavange pumps are working good. And never go above 1.5 quarts. of engine oil. NEVER trust the dipstick. Oil with the engine off should be right at or just a hair below the small drainback hole.

If you are blowing oil out the tranny vent then the crankcase is leaking pressure into the tranny. This is why a pressure test is vital when building the motor.

MyCannibal

#5 Post by MyCannibal »

this may sound corny but when i change my oil i use two milk jugs with the tops cut off......i drain my oil into one and when i'm done i put the empty jug next to the one with the old oil in it and fill the empty one with new oil till its level with the jug with the old oil in it......this way you NEVER put more in than what comes out........we recycle so we always have milk jugs laying around....lol.

CannondaleRider

#6 Post by CannondaleRider »

Seems easier to just measure out a half a quart, then put a whole quart on top of that.

Canniboomer

#7 Post by Canniboomer »

For sure, do the update anyway -- you would think the longer crankcase stroke would be even more needy of that update. If you already have the direct airbox, it's not much of a chore.

CptHook

#8 Post by CptHook »

Well I'm almost sure that I put too much oil in. Reason 1: I buy Silkolene oil which each container contains a little more than a quart, so it makes it kind of a pain to get exactley a quart and a half sometimes. Reason 2(the culprit): Having been my first oil change in a year and a half I kind of forgot the process since I was doing two other things at the same time(installing pingel and reinstalling throttle body after backfire blew it off). Nevertheless after draining everything, so I thought, and cleaning all the filters, so I thought, and filling everything back up, I realized I did not change my engine oil filter. This would probably explain my puzzlement of why I had a bunch of oil spill out when I removed my inlet filter to clean it after I thought I drained everything.

So to conclude after the somewhat botched oil change, its safe to say that I had too much oil in there. I just didnt think that it would cause it to puke that much oil out.