starter problems

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
jmiller

#1 Post by jmiller »

hey i'm the new guy.i bought and rebuilt a cannondale with a bad crank it runs great but cranks slow. i am running 24 volts to the starter to crank fast enough but the starter clutch slips have any ideas

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

You may have a one-way starter clutch bearing going bad. Did you leave the decomp on the exhaust cam or did you remove it during the rebuild? If it sounds like it has the power to turn it over but something is slipping, it's the oine-way bearing. If it doesn't seem like it has that much power it could be something electrical. .... One more thing, you didn't happen to take apart the starter clutch assembly did you? If you did you may have installed the two concave washers wrong. They need to be installed like as if you put two cup hands together to whistle. If they are put on in the same position sitting inside each other, it will slip big time.

speed 450mx

#3 Post by speed 450mx »

It could be a bad starter too. I had a starter draging took it part and cleaned it out. And it started working better

jmiller

#4 Post by jmiller »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Nov 17 2006, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You may have a one-way starter clutch bearing going bad. Did you leave the decomp on the exhaust cam or did you remove it during the rebuild? If it sounds like it has the power to turn it over but something is slipping, it's the oine-way bearing. If it doesn't seem like it has that much power it could be something electrical. .... One more thing, you didn't happen to take apart the starter clutch assembly did you? If you did you may have installed the two concave washers wrong. They need to be installed like as if you put two cup hands together to whistle. If they are put on in the same position sitting inside each other, it will slip big time.

i left the decomp on the cam.i did take the starter clutch apart but i think i put it together right. with 12volts the starter stalls even with a battery charger on so i use two batteries, the ecu is wired to 12voltsand the starter to 24 .the starter then has plenty of cranking power but the clutch slips. ithink decomp is the problem. is that a common problem? just wanted some advise before i pull the motor again. the cylinder also was filled with oil,i emptied it,it now runs great but smokes,i was told there is acheck valve that sticks,but i have no idea what check valve they were talking about or where it is.any ideas?