Stroked crank?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
ronnoc47

#1 Post by ronnoc47 »

Can I be able to tell if my crankshaft has been modified to a stroker crank just by looking at it?
I had Timbomoose do my crank, But it was lost in shipping from him. He then sent me a new crank and it is in a sealed bag and looks like it is a stock factory crank with nothing done to it. Should there be some sign or markings on it that it has been taken apart and modified? It is supposed to have the Z400 bearing and have been stroked. Also what about the piston? I sent Tim a brand new ASSO piston that I thought would have to be machined for the stroked crank. That was lost also in shipping and he sent me back a new piston, also in a sealed bag, but it's not an ASSO piston. It has the cdale logo underneth but not ASSO.I thought that the ASSO piston was the better piston.
I just want to be sure that I am getting what I paid for. I don't want to put it back together untill I'm sure (I have been trying to get a hold of Tim but no luck.) Any help would be appreciated!

Happyboy

#2 Post by Happyboy »

If you left Tim a message then he will get back with you. He just gets too busy. I hope he has taken the day off and has gone riding.

ronnoc47

#3 Post by ronnoc47 »

I didn't get his answering machine. But the piston does look like it may have been machined when I compare it to the stock one. I just can't tell with the crank because I have nothing to compare it too. I'm pretty sure its done I would just like to be certain. It's raining here today and I finaly have time to work on putting it back together. I'm now just looking closer at the parts and the crank shows no signs of being worked on. I'm not a machinist so all I can say is that if Tim took my crank apart and rebuilt it .... He is an outstanding machinist!

T-Rex

#4 Post by T-Rex »

Trust me when I say Timbo is a great person. If you wanted a stroker crank then that is what you got. When I recieved all of my stuff back from Timbo everything was packaged very well.

dalewannbe

#5 Post by dalewannbe »

pic

see how the web on the right is machined verse the one on the left not being machined. a stroked crank should be machined like this.

I had to send this one back to timbo because the left web wasn't machine when I got it.

the bottom picture is just another picture for you.

another pic

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

The Cannondale C on the bottom of the piston is a stock ASSO piston. If you can see the pin on both sides of the crank halfs then it has a new pin. Any shiny machining on the crank pork chops are a dead givaway for a stroked crank. Tim lost a couple hundred bucks on your deal from DHL losing it. Not enough insuance coverage.

If you dont get tim on the answering machine he will be on the computer or on the phone. He always calls back .

ronnoc47

#7 Post by ronnoc47 »

Should my crank have welds on it like in the picture from dalewannbe? I don't have welds on the sides where I guessing it's pinned. Why would mine be missing the welds. And as far as the piston goes, it may be an ASSO piston.
I was unaware of Tim loosing money on my "deal" because of DHL. I paid Tim in full what he asked of me the day I received the crank.

wistech

#8 Post by wistech »

The newer cranks are being pressed together with locktite as it eliminates the possibilty of welds cracking. It has been the new process for quite some time.

Your piston is an ASSO . They are the only ones with the C on the bottom. I talked to Tim many times about your piston being lost and worked with DHL to find it but they gave up and payed the insurance but it was not enough to cover the cost so Tim being Tim of course ate it like he should and sent you another new one.

ronnoc47

#9 Post by ronnoc47 »

Thanks for all the help guys! My bad for doubting anyone. Seems Wistech is fully aware of the lost crank story. Thanks for putting me at ease!

dalewannbe

#10 Post by dalewannbe »

Good luck with the motor. Let us know how it progresses. The stroker is soo smooth. You'll love it.