Coolant Leak

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Blazinmoto

#1 Post by Blazinmoto »

I have coolant leaking from what looks like around the front head helper stud. Brief description of quad is it is
a moto with a unicorn case with a walsh 250r kit and aluminum coolant bottle. We just pulled the motor and replaced the head gasket and sealed with gasket maker, it still leakes. Also while we had motor out and apart
we searched for any crakes or imperfections to allow leakage, but found none.
Only thing that I am not sure about is that it is a self bleeding coolant system, but the walsh bottle does not have a return tube. Not sure if it would effect it other then I would have to self bleed the coolant. Also does anyone know if the threaded area for the helper stud is in a water jacket or would it be impossible to leak coolant thru helper stud? Could it be leaking from somewhere else and running towards the stud, where it is noticed? Greatly appreciate any help, we are running out of ideas. Also we just put an aluminum impeller on while we tore down the motor, but it was leaking before and after. Just trying to give all the history.
Thanks!

claas900

#2 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (Blazinmoto @ Jun 21 2006, 06:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have coolant leaking from what looks like around the front head helper stud. Brief description of quad is it is
a moto with a unicorn case with a walsh 250r kit and aluminum coolant bottle. We just pulled the motor and replaced the head gasket and sealed with gasket maker, it still leakes. Also while we had motor out and apart
we searched for any crakes or imperfections to allow leakage, but found none.
Only thing that I am not sure about is that it is a self bleeding coolant system, but the walsh bottle does not have a return tube. Not sure if it would effect it other then I would have to self bleed the coolant. Also does anyone know if the threaded area for the helper stud is in a water jacket or would it be impossible to leak coolant thru helper stud? Could it be leaking from somewhere else and running towards the stud, where it is noticed? Greatly appreciate any help, we are running out of ideas. Also we just put an aluminum impeller on while we tore down the motor, but it was leaking before and after. Just trying to give all the history.
Thanks!

Do you know why it lost a head gasket? Thats not a very common problem. I dont know if the helper stud goes to a water jacket. Have you tried looking to see if its leaking threw the weep hole? Also if this isnt a selfbleeding systom you need to make sure you bleed it,if I had to guess you may have lost your head gasket from over heating??? If you dont know were the weep hole is at,its right under the water pump you can see it with the motor in the frame. It's a tiny hole..

Blazinmoto

#3 Post by Blazinmoto »

Yes I did bleed the system anyway but wondered if it made a diff by not running a return hose on a selfbleeding. I really thought I had a leaking head gasket by the amount of coolant leaking. But after replacing the gasket and the leak continues guess gasket may have been fine. Really stumped on this one. If it does not have a return hose to coolant bottle would the system still selfbleed?

MyCannibal

#4 Post by MyCannibal »

that would be a non self bleeder and you'd have to bleed it yourself...system wouldnt self bleed.

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

Ive seen a case leak right under the helper stud boss. It had a smilely face crack all the way around it. But it only opened up when it was running. Lol.

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

If you dont have the bleed hose on the waterpump did you plug it off?If not thats where leak is from.You could pressurize the cooling system to find the leak easier also.

dalewannbe

#7 Post by dalewannbe »

I probably have a water cover w/out the bleeder nipple if you want to give it try.