cracked engine side-cover

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
jcv440

cracked engine side-cover

#1 Post by jcv440 »

Has anyone cracked a engine case cover and fixed it? The Cam Chain tensioner snapped on my motor and cracked the cover. I think it's Magnesium, so I don't know if you can weld it up or not.

Thanks in advance to anyone!

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

It can be welded but it is real tricky they arent going to like doing it.Do you have any pictures of what happened to your tensioner?Did it go out of time when this happened?Did the valves hit piston?

jcv440

#3 Post by jcv440 »

The cam chain slider up against the chain tensioner itself broke. There was enough of it left to keep the chain from jumping the sprocket, thank God. It was ticking like a son of a gun though. I found a guy that has welded these before, he's going to fix it tomorrow for me. I'll post pics of the completed job.

I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but both times I've used Klotz oil in a pinch, rather than Redline on a motor, something has gone wrong. I'm wondering if it's not a good idea to switch oil after you've ran the Redline. The stuff sticks to the inside of the motor so good, I'm wondering if it's reacting funny with the Klotz. They're both synthetic oil though. I'm gonna look into this alittle more, just seems too much of a coincidence.

I think I found a interesting discovery...do we know the date of the Stud Update release? I have a Moto we sold that is a early 03 with the update done to the engine. I have the engine number, but I can't find a date of assembly anywhere. I'm thinking Cannondale knew about this long before they admitted it to the public. I might be blowin smoke, but it makes me wonder.

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

The stud update was dated 10/28/02.Remember they only recomended it for racers.I have a motor that was built in dec 02 it had the stud update in it from factory.The only thing that bothers me is the crankplate with the extra hole which was sent to me from cannondale right before they closed.Nobody even former employees seems to know anything about it.I wonder why they put the extra bolt hole.

jcv440

#5 Post by jcv440 »

Thats right, I forgot about the "only racers" part. Hmm, that extra hole is weird. It'd have to be a casting change. Someone that would know would be Andy I bet. I haven't heard where he ended up, he was a heck of a nice guy and knew the engines like the back of his hand.

Big Winky

#6 Post by Big Winky »

jcv and I discovered that NO, you can not weld the timing cover. it is not alum. or magnisum, don't know what it is cast from...but it is not weldable. he left a extra broken cover here at my place, and have tried a different way to repair it... so far so good jcv! going to put in the oven today and heat it to operating temp. If the repair holds well.... I'll let everyone here know how it was fixed.

jcv440

#7 Post by jcv440 »

Sweet Wink, I've got the other one fixed also. I'll post pics of it tomorrow night. Your idea worked well on this one!wink.gif

Jaybr

#8 Post by Jaybr »

Hellbound has a side cover on ebay right now. Auction ends today, you may want to grab it.

jschner

#9 Post by jschner »

MAZ has the crankcase covers for $175

www.cdaleparts.com