weird problem

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
quadman22

#1 Post by quadman22 »

ok so im racing around a pit near my house today... im in 5th gear not quite pinned but definately pushing it and all of a sudden the bike just shuts off and locks up almost sending me over the bars. When i tried hitting the start button it would just make one quick click sound and the starter wouldnt turn over. It sounded like the motor had definately locked up because it seemed like nothing could move on the inside of the motor. After a while of trying this it all of a sudden cranked over. It didnt fire up but the starter would go like it normally does. This made me think that i hadnt seized the motor. But now my bike just wont start. I have checked the battery or anyhthing yet because i just got back. i wouldnt think its the battery though just because of how this all happened. So what could possibly be wrong??

speed2424

#2 Post by speed2424 »

Did you do a compression check on it yet?

big.elk.hunter

#3 Post by big.elk.hunter »

sound like what mine did when the crank bearing seized up. after it cooled a bit it would only turn over a tiny but then stop again. hope its not that serious for you.

quadman22

#4 Post by quadman22 »

how do u do a compression check? did i maybe drop a valve?

hawksd1

#5 Post by hawksd1 »

QUOTE (quadman22 @ Aug 19 2006, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
how do u do a compression check? did i maybe drop a valve?

Thats exactly what mine did... The stage 8 kit in the motor let loose and ate the oil pump gears which thrashed my valves all in a fraction of a second. My starter sounded just like yours but wouldnt turn over at all even later. Hopoe it not the same thing ... good luck...maybe flywheel ???!!!

azcannon

#6 Post by azcannon »

QUOTE (hawksd1 @ Aug 19 2006, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thats exactly what mine did... The stage 8 kit in the motor let loose and ate the oil pump gears which thrashed my valves all in a fraction of a second. My starter sounded just like yours but wouldnt turn over at all even later. Hopoe it not the same thing ... good luck...maybe flywheel ???!!!

I am guessing the kit wasn't installed properly , I have never seen a failure on one of these components. I have noticed quite a few not installed properly or with enough care as to cause other conflicts.

Happyboy

#7 Post by Happyboy »

Yep, same here. The stage 8 isn't something that will just fail on its own. There is no pressure on the tabs and if properly installed they won't just fall off on their own.

wistech

#8 Post by wistech »

It is beyond me why so many stage 8 kits are installed wrong even though they come with instructions. Although I have seen one with a broken snap ring in the case.
If your motor is locked up quit messing around and rip it out. It should take about 2 hours to get it on the bench and the head off. Now get to it.

azcannon

#9 Post by azcannon »

it takes more than 2 hours if you are inexperienced and every kit I have ever bought ( about 10 ) did NOT come with any instructions.

quadman22

#10 Post by quadman22 »

i have dropped the motor way too many times already so it shouldnt take too long by now. If this is a dropped valve or anything that caused engine damage then it will almost certainly be parted out sad.gif anyone want anything from it if it is damaged?