Help!!! Oil coming out the exhaust

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
harleypitbull1

#1 Post by harleypitbull1 »

Well in Tennessee it has been hot, so I only start the quad up a couple times a month. Last time was about a week ago. Started it up, it ran fine. Warmed it up, then the little girl wanted to ride, so we putted around the yard for five minutes or so. After she got off, I ran it through the field 2 or 3 times pretty hard. Ran perfect just like usual. Well I started it up today and it is smoking like crazy, and oil is in the end of my exhaust plus leaking onto the swingarm where the slip on joins the pipe. It still runs fine. Timbo done all the motor work last year. Motor was broke in and probably has less than 20 hours on it now. This is odd all of a sudden. Please help

jesshamner

#2 Post by jesshamner »

If its been sitting, its possible that some oil has leaked into the cylinder or maybe the check ball is stuck.

azcannon

#3 Post by azcannon »

that is the problem , just run it for awhile and check your oil and see if it goes away. I have had it happen twice and it is no big deal

harleypitbull1

#4 Post by harleypitbull1 »

Thanks for the info guys. I taked to canniboomer and timbo today and they both told me the same thing. Just worried me when all of a sudden my baby started smoking like a freight train. Hopefully it will go away, if not, guess I will be dropping the motor for a new oil pump.

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

You can sometime blow air through the rear oil inlet line making sure the oil filter cover is off. This can dislodge any piece of debris that might be clogging up the check ball. Cover the oil filter hole with a towel to catch the spray. Otherwise make sure never to have more than 1.5 quarts of oil in the engine. That seems low enough that it will not seep over the piston if the crankcase fills up.

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

I would also recommend changing the oil and starting over with 1.5 qts.

yamadjs08

#7 Post by yamadjs08 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Sep 21 2006, 06:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would also recommend changing the oil and starting over with 1.5 qts.

Yep, my dads would have the check ball stick when we just got it. I changed the oil in it and it stopped right away. It still smoked a little because it was still burning a bunch of it off. But it never does it now.

harleypitbull1

#8 Post by harleypitbull1 »

Well guys, good news and bad news. I have started the quad twice since the day it started smoking. And everything seems back to normal, still a little smoke but I think it is dues to the oil in the packing of my exhaust. Thats the good news, bad news now, while it is hot, we do not ride. So I play golf to pass the time. Golf should be safe but wednsday I broke a bone in my wrist hitting a golf ball. Come to find out its pretty common but I am gonna have to have surgery to get the bone fixed. Will be two months probably before I can even start to ride again. I only trail ride so its not a total loss. But I was ready for cooler weather and a chance to ride. A man would think that running 50 through the woods and bouncing off everything would be more dangerous than hitting a golf ball, but guess I was wrong. Once again thanks for the help

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

Cripes that is one for the books!Gotta remember that for the bosses next time I get hurt.Hope you get healed quick if they pin it I bet you can ride in a month.Carefully though.

harleypitbull1

#10 Post by harleypitbull1 »

Went to see the surgeon today. Surgery scheduled for friday. They are gonna take the piece of the bone out so hopefully it wont take long to get back in action. 4 to 6 weeks I think. Once again, thanks for all the help, you guys are the best.