Head Porting Discussion

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
jwheat

#1 Post by jwheat »

Alright guys...... I know this has been talked about lot lately, but I was porting a head today and thought about something and wanted some opinions. Since the Dales use fuel injectors that spray and atomize the fuel, why couldn't you just port and polish the intake tract as smooth as the exhaust side to help the air velocity. Since the injectors are already atomizing the fuel better than any carburetor ever could, maybe we should just improve the flow and not the air turbulence. What are your thoughts on this?

Happyboy

#2 Post by Happyboy »

my rough understanding......and this is only part of it.

What is better? A smooth golf ball or one with bumps? Kinda the same idea here. The roughing up of the intake tract forms very small eddies of flow that help the main air flow flow better. If you smoothed it out then the larger imperfections would form larger turbulance pockets and restrict air more than the very small turbulance pockets the roughing causes.

Make sense? I will look for a webpage that shows this also.

azcannon

#3 Post by azcannon »

I don't polish mine but it does end up pretty smooth, when I watch the fuel flow from the injector it hits the valve pocket pretty good , I don't think the fuel slimes down the walls which is what you are trying to avoid in a naturally aspirated engine with longer intake runners. After I take out the bumps in the intake its a pretty straight shot so all your increasing flow on is the air and I can't see how rough is better again I thought the roughness was so fuel didn't cling to the walls

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

I am going to say smooth also.The golf ball theory makes sense but those dimples need to be very uniform and in correct placement for it to help flow.The pattern from porting is not uniform at all.More like waves on a lake.Most are about same hieght easy to just skip from top to top but that one that higher raises ****.It is nice to have FI we also dont have to worry about pulling fuel up from a floatbowl.Which is why in our case bigger really does seem to be better!

justingeer82

#5 Post by justingeer82 »

go ahead and port the crap out of it. we need a test mule lol
only way we'll know is to try it.

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

Its been done already.58hp nothing much more to remove before it leaks!

wistech

#7 Post by wistech »

I say do what you want . Its seems to be pretty hard to mess up a cannondale head unless you hit a water jacket or do something stupid like the reangled injector blunder. Heck every screw ball head porting idea Ive tried just makes more and more power/torque.

azcannon

#8 Post by azcannon »

QUOTE (wistech @ Sep 27 2006, 09:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heck every screw ball head porting idea Ive tried just makes more and more power/torque.

I love this statement...........