JE Pistons bad???

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
aroracer72

#11 Post by aroracer72 »

I have a shortrod falicon...and it has lowered compression because of the shortrod....am i REALLY running around 8:1 compression??!!!...if soo thats DEFINATELY my power loss problem...cause this thing is SLLOOWWWWWW...and i spent a week checking everything else(mapping, air intake...everything). When i tear the motor down im gonna leak test the valve train and set the timing to specs.....but if this thing has 8:1 compression thats rediculous and isnt acceptable...thats too little.
Chad

Idahocannibal

#12 Post by Idahocannibal »

Hey aroracer, have you taken the piston out yet? I had the shortrod falicon with the JE and when I tore mine down the piston was hitting the crank, just check out the bottom of where the wrist pin goes just to make sure yours didn't do the same thing. It was still running and I had probably 50-60 hours on mine.

aroracer72

#13 Post by aroracer72 »

I havnt yet but when i do i will deffinately check!
Chad

aroracer72

#14 Post by aroracer72 »

Soo should i put this piston in or not???....doug does someone you know have the same set up as this quad WILL have...which i mean is a short rod falicon with a JE piston running 13:1 compression???
Chad

Happyboy

#15 Post by Happyboy »

You need a special piston to fix the short rod problem. sad.gif I think there were 2 variations of the JEs made, 1 for the normal stroke and 1 for the short rod. If you can't find the short rod version you could always send the crank back to Falicon. It will cost you a little bit of money but you will spend that on special pistons anyway in the long run.

azcannon

#16 Post by azcannon »

Well I have one , my engine has a problem and I have 30-50 hours on mine of HARD riding, track and high speed desert I havent torn it down yet and I was thinking the light tapping was prob a decompression but I don't know. I am going to send crank out for the long rod and use stock pistons. My other quad has the long rod and a Wiseco 450 piston and it has the same 30-35 hours and is the smoothest running dale anyone has ever heard . And My understanding is their are a lot of problems with those pistons too but mine have been perfect

turbospeed440

#17 Post by turbospeed440 »

here is my je 450 piston after about 20 hours of trail riding. i was wondering y i had so much aluminum in the oil filter heres why. it also ate my c clip to hole in the wrist pin. a while ago i asked why i didnt have tomuch oil when i did my oil change know i know why. im gonna go with timbos new piston.

Psychosis

#18 Post by Psychosis »

Please resize the pics. I can't even tell what I'm looking at, lol.

Happyboy

#19 Post by Happyboy »

Wow, thats the wristpin and wristpin hole. There is a freaking hole/crack forming there. I hadn't seen those before, heard about em, not seen one though. Thanks for the pics.

cannondale27

#20 Post by cannondale27 »

Even the JE's made for short rod Falicons are still low on compression.Will post some pics of one of my JE's.Some others I am sure will also be shown with latest being Annimals.No less than 10 cracks in it.He is a lucky guy.Someone here said Wisecos were bad?I dont think so.They just shrink and then burn oil and lose power faster than a ASSO or CP.But they dont usually break.