JE Pistons bad???

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Delaware152

#71 Post by Delaware152 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Oct 8 2006, 06:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great!I cant understand why alot of guys didnt take Falicon up on the FREE short rod replacement right away.Was it fear of another long wait?
Take a picture of parts.

When was this deal offered? I had to pay to have mine fixed.

cannondale27

#72 Post by cannondale27 »

Jaybr says it was offered.
What's to explain? There's no conspiracy here, the first batch of cranks they shipped the rod was a little too short. As soon as we realized this we contacted Falicon and they agreed to replace all the rods. I had recieved and shipped out a handful of cranks, and I contacted each and every person I had shipped too, and gave them the option to ship it back and get the rod replaced with the longer version that used a stock piston, for FREE. The other option was a JE piston setup for the shorter rod length. Some people shipped them back, some got the piston, but they ALL had the option to get the rod replaced at that time.

Delaware152

#73 Post by Delaware152 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Oct 9 2006, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jaybr says it was offered.

I was made aware of this by Haydug when purchased. Falicon is not going to do anything for anybody. There CS sucks. I had to pay to repair a crank that broke in half.

cannondale27

#74 Post by cannondale27 »

Finally found the Bugger.Now I said I had around 30-40 hrs on it.No hourmeter but I do keep track of gas.Used 10 tanks before dune trip and 4 at the dunes at least so being a stroker may have been less hours.Anyway it was said issue was tight clearance.Well first one that went maybe.This one was fit on loose side if anything.Look at the coating its still all there except on half that was broke.Thing just died when Buddah was riding it.Actually thought it ran out of gas.Wrong!Made error of towing it in effort to start it.Dont do that ever!Piston was cracked didnt really make any abnormal noise when cranking.Towed it still wouldnt start.Towed more and then wristpin broke in half then it made some big noise!Can see carbon in the crack so crack was there when it was running for awhile at least.Trashed my valves.I was lucky actually.Especially if you have 20hrs or more please just get a new piston.

GDITheman

#75 Post by GDITheman »

im shipping my engine out tomorrow. i'm real interested to hear wtf is wrong now.

cannondale27

#76 Post by cannondale27 »

I am gonna guess that JE was hitting crank on bottom of piston causing all the aluminum in oil.

cannondale27

#77 Post by cannondale27 »

No I am saying that clearance was NOT a issue which is obvious by the lack of wear on the skirts.Just look man!Both were checked for clearance this one that cracked was at .003 ran more clearance cause of first failure.I always check clearance.Thats how I caught Wiseco that was tight back aways.Now first JE was .001-.002 which is tighter but easily should have been fine.The CP's we are now test running at .001 and one is less than that! No issues.Actually ALL the pistons are double checked since Timbo does it also.Did you know real proper way to check it is using a press plate since liner distorts when head is torqued?

Guy310

#78 Post by Guy310 »

******, that is not really the way things are done now with coated cylinders and better machined pistons. No doubt you still have to check for proper clearance, but it's not practical to get a piston and liner kit and then have the liner bored and re-nikasiled or whatever coating they have on them.

GDITheman

#79 Post by GDITheman »

Spoke with Timbo today. He had most of my engine apart and here are some of the things he found, as I understand it. The JE piston was OK. It did not have cracks in it. It was also not hitting the crank. One cam is just starting to wear. Could be from the heavy Kibblewhite springs. The springs were bent over like C27 has shown. So, as I understand it now, I am replacing 1 cam, going back to stock valves and springs and putting a new Timbo piston back in. Tim said I probably could have got another 20 hours or so out of it, which would have put it around 50 - 70 hours total time. I guess the JE piston would have lasted as long as I would have liked in my opinion. The valves and springs are my biggest disappointment. No blame to anyone, just a disappointment. Other than that, Tim said it looked pretty good.

cannondale27

#80 Post by cannondale27 »

Didnt he say the wristpin was wore but not that bad?