JE Pistons bad???

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
GDITheman

#81 Post by GDITheman »

Talking to Tim is like talking to a brain surgeon. Not all of the information gets translated into GDI speak. He may have said that. He said a lot of technical stuff. I just wrote about what I could comprehend. If Tim wants to give more detail, then great. I just may have to ask for help translating. wink.gif

cannondale27

#82 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes he said the aluminum was from decomp rubbing on head I believe.Anyway was a good thing to take it apart.

GDITheman

#83 Post by GDITheman »

Yes he did say that. Way too much info my for to absorb. I'm just glad I pulled it when I did. Thanks to everyone for giving their sides of the story. All the information helps guys like me (not engine gurus) make decisions to keep these things running.

Steve, you may know more than I do at this point. I had a quick convo with him on my way to lunch. If there was anything else that hasn't been mentioned, please share it.

cannondale27

#84 Post by cannondale27 »

Nothing else.He said crank looked great and sleeve was questionable so he is replacing I think.Kibblewhite springs were really leaning bad and I think exhaust cam had wear along with one bucket.Valves looked good not even mushroomed at tips.You should be all set.

GDITheman

#85 Post by GDITheman »

I remember you posting pics on the KW springs. I was going to pull the springs and valves out this spring and just got too busy. The good news is that the spring issue is an indisputable fact and you guys helped to bring that to light. Some of the other issues can be debatable as we've seen. I was hoping that my engine would add to the facts. It didn't matter to me which side the evidence landed on.

cannondale27

#86 Post by cannondale27 »

Any wear from the piston on the wristpin IS indisputable evidence of a issue.Its just not supposed to happen ever.Thing is with short rod Falicons the clearance between bottom of piston in wristpin area and the crank is also less than stock.About .010in so any wear in wristpin can easily cause piston to hit then piston cracks.You also said you ride on the torque side of powerband.That probably helps alot since its not being revved to the moon all the time.

GDITheman

#87 Post by GDITheman »

Good, then my engine has added some more evidence. No way can I point fingers at anyone for what has happened inside my engine. I made the decision to build it with those parts. Haydug provided great service and support when he did the work. Chalk it up to more R&D or learning curve or whatever. I like seeing that there are answers to the problems. I'd be upset if Tim took it apart and he couldn't tell me why things weren't right.

CannondaleRider

#88 Post by CannondaleRider »

Looks like its possible another JE went.

I've got clumps of metal shavings in my oil mad.gif

cannondale27

#89 Post by cannondale27 »

That sucks!I was hoping you would make it till end of year.Is it aluminum in oil?

CannondaleRider

#90 Post by CannondaleRider »

Well, it made it to the end of the WORCS season, so I have a couple months before the 07 season starts.

Didn't think about it till a while after i found the shavings, and thought it was purly the piston, but, it's steel shavings, not aluminum.....Wristpin maybe?