Valve Cover

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Lippy91

#1 Post by Lippy91 »

How do we know if we have a magnesium valve cover? I thought all Cannondales had the Magnesium valve cover until I read that someone had a Aluminum valve cover stock from the factory.

Happyboy

#2 Post by Happyboy »

The aluminum ones had the spot on the back cut out for the cam sensor. Some of the later ones had the hole filled in with epoxy but its still very unique. The rest were magnesium.

**i think

Easy E

#3 Post by Easy E »

The epoxied hole that Happyboy is talking about:

kdeal

#4 Post by kdeal »

Remember that all S500 ECU equipped bikes/ATVs came with the above cover as the cam sensor fit into the hole that the epoxy is in. Then when the factory went to the S1000, the cam sensor was no longer used and they filled the hole in with epoxy. My guess is that's when they decided to make an updated version of the cam cover. They had it made in magnesium mostly because it was cheaper to make and is very light. Unfortunately, they forgot all about electrolysis. The coolant and the water make a chemical reaction due to the two different materials used in the coolant's path (aluminum & magnesium). There must have been aluminum covers that were used up until they were gone (w/ the epoxied hole). They were most likely used on the motorcycles only as more than one hole has to be plugged (there is an extra vent line on the motorcycles). My X440s came with one of the covers, and I have several more that were epoxied as well. Be careful on these covers as the seal groove is not machined on all of them, and if you use it with the new seal it will most likely leak. I used a dremel to make the groove on one of mine and it works great.

SlOoT

#5 Post by SlOoT »

QUOTE (Easy E @ Dec 5 2006, 06:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The epoxied hole that Happyboy is talking about:

I also have a valve cover like that biggrin.gif

fig

#6 Post by fig »

To add to what Ken said, you can purchase new aluminum valve covers from the site sponsors like Blackwidow.