Hopefully its the flywheel

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
jesshamner

#31 Post by jesshamner »

I start mine with the charger on it all the time.

claas900

#32 Post by claas900 »

If your D&M wont talk to it,some pc's need to turn back the date on them i know mine is that way.

MX Quad Dad

#33 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (harleypitbull1 @ Dec 31 2006, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The quad had already started and ran three or four times. I was fixing to put the plastic on and had started zip tying wires back into place and my dad came in. I went to start it, the fuel pump ran once and thats it. The ecu not communicating makes me think, it had to fry it.

If it ran then you were messing with the wires? I would recheck all connections, before buying a new ecu

wistech

#34 Post by wistech »

A battery charger will not damage an ecu unless it is malfunctioning. Check your wiring and reload the hex code.

harleypitbull1

#35 Post by harleypitbull1 »

QUOTE (wistech @ Dec 31 2006, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A battery charger will not damage an ecu unless it is malfunctioning. Check your wiring and reload the hex code.

wistech, I checked the wiring for over an hour. Checked all the grounds and everything. I tried to reload the hexcode first. But it always said serial read port timeout or something like that. It would never try to load the hex besides saying that. Then I tried to get the information out of the ecu and it always said " unable to unlock system" The date on the pc, I changed that when I first got the d and m kit but I had used it earlier that day to reset my throttle calibrations and reload the map. So I know it works. It has to be the Ecu, I think. The charger was on auto and kicking on and off. Tim told me he had it happen to a guy just a few days before. I think a buddy of mine has another computer. I guess I will try to hook it up just to see if the fuel pump runs. I know there is some kind of update to install diodes to keep the starter solenoid from spiking the computer I think. Does anyone know what this consist of?

wistech

#36 Post by wistech »

Several years ago I had a similar issue where the ecu quit working and the fuel pump didnt want to turn on. I wish I could remember exactly what it was. It might have been the com port was wrong or something where it kept getting the failed to unlock message. I know I had to try to load the hex about 5 time then it eventually took it took it. Is that tiny ground by the headlight bracket still bolted down? What version wiring harness do you have. There is a white tag in it by the airbox.

cannondale27

#37 Post by cannondale27 »

I guess on the older wiring harnesses(ver5) if you dont have the diode update this can happen.As for D&M I also had to backdate my laptop once again to get program to work.

harleypitbull1

#38 Post by harleypitbull1 »

I have no clue which wiring harness I have. It is an early 02 blaze. You guys ran the vin once and if I remember correctly the build date was 02 02 of 02. I thought that was odd. The ground is still hooked up John. I had trouble with a computer once when we first got our motors back from Tim. Somehow the d and m froze during sending a map and Ronnies computer would never communicate again. Sent it to Optimum and Scoooter said it was toast. I almost believe it has to be the computer the way it happened. The only wires I had zip tied were the wire by the starter solenoid and the clutch wire where I have it twisted together where it will start without pulling the clutch. Neither of those should do anything to make the fuel pump stop running. I had the D and M on it not even an hour before this and everything worked fine. I did a throttle cal and resent the map before I ever tried to start the quad just to make sure. I was on the phone with happyboy and he told me that the ground wire on top of the fuel pump could have contacted and grounded out. I checked that, It was bent down a little but it was not touching. But it might have got close enough to do it. I dont have any other idea what it could be. Does anyone have a copy of the diode update or a picture of what it takes to rig one up? Scooter sent one to Ronnie when his computer messed up. We were gonna put one on mine but just never did. We got them running and could not wait to ride. Ronnie has a spare ECU but I want to put the diode update on it before I plug it in just incase. I hate to fry 2. I am almost sure after I plug it in that the fuel pump will run. And on the hex code situation, I had just did that 4 days ago when we could not find out why it would not run. Its a pain because you have to hold the start button down but when you do that, it takes right away. I may try to load it again but John said it took 4 or 5 times to load. I already tried it about 10 times but who knows.

Canniboomer

#39 Post by Canniboomer »

We have a couple of the harness updates in stock: SBA01-11 and SBA01-12. If you are having to hold down the start button, then you have the older rev 5 harness, and may likely still need both updates. I am emailing to you the .pdf files for comparison with your machine.

harleypitbull1

#40 Post by harleypitbull1 »

QUOTE (Canniboomer @ Jan 1 2007, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We have a couple of the harness updates in stock: SBA01-11 and SBA01-12. If you are having to hold down the start button, then you have the older rev 5 harness, and may likely still need both updates. I am emailing to you the .pdf files for comparison with your machine.

Dave,

Is there a pretty good chance that if all of a sudden I cant communicate with the ecu that is is fried?