Harley injector tips

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
wistech

#1 Post by wistech »

Since there are a few of you out there running the harley injectors for easier tuning I think there are some tips to using them we can all use.
I highly recomend secondary fasteners to make sure the shortened fuel cap holders dont pop off.
When porting a head the injector bungs can be completly removed for max airflow.
Although new maps have been made for the harleys now keep in mind the stock injectors can be used but there will be some serious mapping required for dyno tuning . We were able to get 57hp on stock injectors but the quad does not quite yet have the smooth power delivery. If you dont have a engine built to make at least 50hp then you will not need the harley injectors. If you want to run a 500ecm on a motor with that they will be required along with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

T-Rex

#2 Post by T-Rex »

Cool man, thats my bling-bling....

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

Thats a really good tip.Was running one of these on dyno and if guys wouldnt have told me to shut it down I never would have noticed the gas spraying all over from one of them popping off.All that fuel it was pure luck we didnt have a serious fire.

wayneschofield

#4 Post by wayneschofield »

Hey guys, be real careful putting stress on the plastic connector housing on those weber-marelli 'PICO' injectors, they break for fun at the root where they are thin! They have tiny wires inside the moulding and the slightest 'tweak' on the plastic snaps the wire inside so you get a random missfire. Even the weight of the connector can cause them to break. If you're going to do that I'd be very tempted to reinfoce them first with some good old JB.

You might want to try some Bosch EV6 or EV12 injectors instead, much stronger design. I'll check to see if they do a suitable size for us. They do some with biased (angled) flow like our stock ones too but they can get very expensive. I just fitted some in a 996turbo and mapped it. They cost the guy 1800 pounds plus vat (17.5%) for six! His motor made 650bhp and 759lbs of torque though so he was still happy despite they crazy-price injectors!

Did any of you notice that the stock injectors have a biased spray pattern and do not actually spray onto the port wall as it might first appear but nice and straight down the port? I have seen postings of people moving the injector boss positions so that they 'face' more down the port - I hope they weren't using stock injectors with that mod!

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Yea we noticed after alot of intakes were messed up.There is a pic of spray pattern somewhere.

We havent had any durability problems with the PICO injectors but they were a compromise as far as flow anyhow (more than needed)so if you can source a better injector with same style and closer flowrate to stock would be awesome.Especially for the 500 ecu guys who cant tune as much as 1000's.

claas900

#6 Post by claas900 »

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

OMG! I cant believe it was that easy claas!You know how long we looked for different injectors!Never called them PICO though.Thank you now I just have to find thread with specs of ours.And they are cheaper than Harley also!

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

17lbs/hr is stock

Sandstorm

#9 Post by Sandstorm »

So what size would you use then???

QUOTE (Wayne Schofield @ Jan 19 2007, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey guys, be real careful putting stress on the plastic connector housing on those weber-marelli 'PICO' injectors, they break for fun at the root where they are thin! They have tiny wires inside the moulding and the slightest 'tweak' on the plastic snaps the wire inside so you get a random missfire. Even the weight of the connector can cause them to break. If you're going to do that I'd be very tempted to reinfoce them first with some good old JB.

You might want to try some Bosch EV6 or EV12 injectors instead, much stronger design. I'll check to see if they do a suitable size for us. They do some with biased (angled) flow like our stock ones too but they can get very expensive. I just fitted some in a 996turbo and mapped it. They cost the guy 1800 pounds plus vat (17.5%) for six! His motor made 650bhp and 759lbs of torque though so he was still happy despite they crazy-price injectors!

Did any of you notice that the stock injectors have a biased spray pattern and do not actually spray onto the port wall as it might first appear but nice and straight down the port? I have seen postings of people moving the injector boss positions so that they 'face' more down the port - I hope they weren't using stock injectors with that mod!

My injector bungs are moved, but they are just not moved inward but turned about 45 degrees as well. Each bung is rotated the 45 degrees to the inside.. What's your opinion on this?? Some people have the bungs moved, but they are just closer together and not turned..

claas900

#10 Post by claas900 »

And summitracing.com has them cheaper. You can use the same part number as Jegs. The 29lbs ones are almost 10$ less. The other 2 are close in price.

Summit also list's 35lbs,but sold in sets of 8, part # EDL-3636 for $325.69,time for a group buy at $40.71 each. biggrin.gif