engine dimensions

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
myEXgotstolen

#1 Post by myEXgotstolen »

hey guys... i'm wondering if someone could do me the favor of measurning their dale motor from the lowest point to highest and what the width is? i'm thinking of doing some kind of one off hybrid, and would like to see what will and what wont fit in what frames... also, does anyone know of any reason NOT to do a conversion using a dale motor? other than the fact that i'll have a steel instead of aluminum frame? thanks in advance

myEXgotstolen

#2 Post by myEXgotstolen »

no one?? any input?

myEXgotstolen

#3 Post by myEXgotstolen »

sad.gif

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

Approximate

17in tall
16in long
7.5in wide at head
8.5in wide at bottom
4.25in wide at swingarm mount
5.375 wide at front mount

If you have a engine already I would take more accurate measurements but theses are close.

myEXgotstolen

#5 Post by myEXgotstolen »

awesome, thanks for taking the time to do that, i appreciate it. ....anyone have any opinion(s) on whether or not it would be a good/feasable motor to use?? i'd like to use it because i've always loved dales, and also because i've never seen it done. any input? thanks again

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

Dale frames are cheap $ and strong.If you have a motor build a Cannondale.

myEXgotstolen

#7 Post by myEXgotstolen »

yeah, i know that...btw i don't have a motor yet... but i want it to be totally different, and i've never seen a hybrid with the dale motor... jw if there's a reason other than what you stated for why i haven't seen one? like, is it impossible for it to work for some reason?? i wanted to use a 250r geometry frame and get the dale motor in it.

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

It could be done pretty easy I would think.You could probably use a chassis for a YZF or CRF only thing you would have to fabricate would be mounts for front,exhaust and a gas tank that allowed room for filter you would need to use a oil tank also which would make YZF chassis preferable since it uses a oil tank and CRF doesnt.If you want to be exotic go for one of those LRD aluminum chassis.I saw a whole Hybrid YZF quad at RedBud two years ago for $4500.Very good deal so they are out there used.Go with a linkage setup and wieght will be saved also.Is kinda interesting.

myEXgotstolen

#9 Post by myEXgotstolen »

so...other than the ease of it, and the fact that the dale frames are cheap...any reason NOT to do it??

wanablaze

#10 Post by wanablaze »

Well, the motors are fuel injected, so it's not as simple as slapping a carb on it. You'd have to either use some sort of fuel injection or you could try to fill in the injector bungs. I'm not sure how well a cannondale would idle with a carb. Probably not so well with heavy porting.

Also note the intake comes in the front and exhaust out the back, so you don't have a lot of intake or exhaust choices out there right now. Like 27 said, you'd also need an external oil tank for the dry sump.

Sounds feasible, though. Good luck, and let's see some pics!