Camshaft gear play ?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
SlOoT

#1 Post by SlOoT »

Is this normal ? Seems that the center gear is the most worn, should I replace it ?

(Animated picture may take some time to load fully)

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

The cam caps are torqued down?There is normally a little play will have to take a feeler guage on a few to see differences.How the heck did you post a pic like that very cool.

kdeal

#3 Post by kdeal »

Just like this big guy....... It's called a .gif file.

SlOoT

#4 Post by SlOoT »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Jan 14 2007, 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The cam caps are torqued down?

Jup.

I just took 2 pictures and combined them into one .GIF file.

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Okay thats not normal play.I measured a couple with indicator and they had .002-.003in of play.Also from the tip of th cam gear to root of drive gear is about .020-.025 checked with wire guages.I would look at your cam bearings,the drive gear bearing or I notice the bolt isnt in the drive gear shaft could it be bent or partially out making the gear lower than it should be?Also the the shim is missing from that gear and has been for awhile looking at wear on front of gear.

wayneschofield

#6 Post by wayneschofield »

Hey, neat GIF!

I hadn't seen this when I posted about coating the cam gears to reduce backlash, I'd just stripped a pretty new motor and was surprised how much play there was.

Your gif looks no worse than my motor. I wonder if there is some issue with some of the 'intermediate' gears OD dimension? There is excessive play between the cam chain top gear and the intermediate, as well as excessive play between it and both cam gears. Mmm, anyone know a quality gear cutter?

I wonder if it could be built up with some aluminium plasma-spray deposition type thing like they do on the sides of Ti conrod B/Es to stop crank galling?

Mmm, more things to spend money on in our beloved C'dale motors!

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

Hanover gear made most of the gears.They will still make gears for us but like you said $.

Canniboomer

#8 Post by Canniboomer »

That's a great idea!, to maybe coat that cam idler gear -- the center gear gets more than triple the wear of the other gears, since it contacts all three and is a smaller diameter. A premium coating on that gear might also reduce wear of the other gears, and is worth checking out.

claas900

#9 Post by claas900 »

There was an article in CarCraft mag a few months ago. They did a ring and pinion gear set. It didn't add any material to the gears but what they did was polish the metal made look like chrome, I guess it made the gears stronger and freed up some HP. If theres one thing I really dont like about the Dale motor is the timing gears,not cuzz of noise but cuzz loss of power. To many parts and to much extra weight to turn.