How to check the Impeller?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Dale512

How to check the Impeller?

#1 Post by Dale512 »

How would I go about checking my water impeller? Can I do it with the Motor in the Chassis? Do I have to drain my coolant?

Thanks

Big Winky

#2 Post by Big Winky »

yes, you can check it in the frame, but dang is it ever tight (need small fingers). if you drain the coolant is also alot less messy, and make sure your pets can't get at the drained or spilled coolant cause they LOVE the stuff and it will kill them if they drink it.

haydug

#3 Post by haydug »

Hey Wink, how about an aluminum impeller, since I've seen some stripped before.

Big Winky

#4 Post by Big Winky »

I have an alum impeller as a sample, been trying to come up with a cost effective way of making them.

haydug

#5 Post by haydug »

Keep me posted, I'll take the first 12 or so if they are cost effective. Thanks

Big Winky

#6 Post by Big Winky »

will do, doug:D

ppogue

coolant

#7 Post by ppogue »

Hey Dale,
remove all plastic and the tank, drain coolant, grab a 6 and 8mm wrentch, "that's right, they used two sizes" and remove the top two first. The furthest one forward is a pain, but use patience and you can get it. Easy removing the cover as there are tons of hoses and vents.
good luck,

Dale512

?

#8 Post by Dale512 »

Remove the bolts from what? lol, sorry.....just not all that sure about what I am doing.

Ryanstones

#9 Post by Ryanstones »

water pump impeller is inside the water pump cover on the upper right of the head/valve cover. Since you've had overheating problems this is a good thing to check. You will also look for corrosion on the side of the valve cover, behind the impeller.