Starter Runs Contiuously

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
knobby

#1 Post by knobby »

Once the Start Button is pushed, the starter continues to run. Any ideas why this would happen? Can't get the bike to fire either, but that is a different problem.

Kevin

CannondaleRider

#2 Post by CannondaleRider »

Could be either the button, or the starter solenoid, I've dealt with each problem

knobby

#3 Post by knobby »

Looks like I have an additional problem also.

There is no spark when it turns over. Also, if I happen to move the ECU, it won't turn on or turnover. I then move the ECU and it will turn on with the green button and keep turning over. Sounds like a harness problem. Boy, I sure don't have the time for this.

kdeal

#4 Post by kdeal »

Sounds like you have some wires crossed somewhere, not a harness problem. I had a similar problem where a friend installed a relay kit to safeguard against blowing the fan / fuel pump driver in the ECU. He didn't like all the plugs that came with it and decided to hardwire the new harness. It would run as long as the starter was moving, but the second you let go of the starter button it would die. He had wired the fuel pump to the starter button! Start from scratch and check every connection and label. Be especially carefull for the ones near the battery. No fire? I would be looking at the kill switch & key switch. Take a meter to them or bypass them for a moment and see if that is your problem.

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Usually it frys everything right away but the solenoid and hot wires plugs are same.Sure they arent mixxed up?The big thick red wired plug goes to other thick wires going to batt.Other with thin wires goes to solenoid.Really wish they would have used different plugs there.

Psychosis

#6 Post by Psychosis »

There's one more little thing that caused me the same problem last summer. On top of the fuel pump where the wires are connected there was one of the star washers touching the upper column or whatever you want to call it on the fuel pump. Tore loose and retightened spot-on and the starter worked like normal.

Was fine and suddenly did that w/out warning but a quick fix. Always a possibility.