In the Middle of GLAMIS, she quit!

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Smitty911

#1 Post by Smitty911 »

Well instead of working on the house this weekend I went to GLAMIS for the day. She fired right up in the garage and I loaded her and drove the 3 1/2 hours to meet a guy from work.

Arrived around 9:00 at their camp and as it typical happens, we rode at 11:00. Sun was overhead no shadows so the back is killing me from all the "little" bumps I should have stood for but didn't see. The Sand was well groomed from the wind and was super soft. Wish I would have gotten my paddles back from trip everyone made 2 years ago.

Quad started right up, let the guy from work ride around the little dune for about 10 min, he liked it. So off we went.

About 45 minutes into the ride, I'm starting to climb on of the taller dunes and she started running funny and was loosing power so I turned out and rolled to the bottom. Fan turn on, so I figured she was hot and needed a break. The LED was not lit which didn't make sense to me. Well about 10 minutes later I go to start her and she fires up. So I kill the motor as everyone was not ready. They get ready and I start her right back up. GO to get a better run on the dune and she died again, just like it had previously.

No electrical power, no lights, no LEDs, nothing. Tried to get a spark off the battery to see if it was dead, nothing.

Thank God we had a woman with us who agreed to be towed back, by a Honda 450. The shame.

Get back to camp, 13 volts on the battery. Wiggled the key switch and the lights came on, Hit starter solenoid clicked and than NOTHING. Wiggled this, wiggled that, nothing. When you hit the magic green button the solenoid would click once and everything would die.

Any ideas?

Smitty

dalewannbe

#2 Post by dalewannbe »

are your ground and battery connections tight and also clean?

kdeal

#3 Post by kdeal »

I would be looking at the ignition key switch being bad. Second, check the ground for the battery to the frame. Check your voltage with the ground probe on the starter body or somewhere other than the negative terminal of the battery. The rivnut on the frame where the negative battery cable connects is known to loose contact with the frame (probably due to corrosion under the rivnut). I know Happyboy just ran into this as well. I like running a second ground from the battery to the engine mount.

claas900

#4 Post by claas900 »

Iv had the teather switch go bad, not sure if you have one or not?

Smitty911

#5 Post by Smitty911 »

The Ground when checked from the + battery to just the frame showed the 13 Volts so I think the ground is "good". How do you check the Pringle and the key switch to make sure they are not the problem?

Thanks

Smitty

Derno24

#6 Post by Derno24 »

Easiest way to be sure is to take them out of the loop. Reach up and follow the wires for the pingle pull each side and plug the 2 wires left behind together no problem there is your answer if so trace wires down for key switch or make jumpers.

thedeatons

#7 Post by thedeatons »

Some people might not recommend this, but it works in a pinch for a quick answer:

You can jumper the starter solenoid screws using a screwdriver, just to see if it is the starter solenoid itself causing the problem. Another way would be to apply the jumper directly to the starter lug and see if it turns the engine over.

ozarkdaler

#8 Post by ozarkdaler »

I used to do that to my dad's Murray mower when I was younger LMAO

Sandstorm

#9 Post by Sandstorm »

Battery could read 13 volts but have a bad plate. I had that problem.. Try another battery. Z400 battery fits..

hawksd1

#10 Post by hawksd1 »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Apr 16 2007, 08:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would be looking at the ignition key switch being bad. Second, check the ground for the battery to the frame. Check your voltage with the ground probe on the starter body or somewhere other than the negative terminal of the battery. The rivnut on the frame where the negative battery cable connects is known to loose contact with the frame (probably due to corrosion under the rivnut). I know Happyboy just ran into this as well. I like running a second ground from the battery to the engine mount.

I had almost the exact same situation occur with mine turns out it was the little two prong in line fuse in front of my radiator under my ecu.... it had corrosion built up inside the lil case for it. I sprayed battery terminal cleaner in there and it ran fine for the remaining 6 days of that trip. When I got home I replaced the fuse all together and havent had a problem since