Quad Stalled

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
wistech

#11 Post by wistech »

Bad roger (slaps his hand) no puller? I dont know who started the idea about why they spin. Every one C55 and I spun was on a long wide open stretch well over 70mph. The flywheels are just a design that cant handle the stress. The big motors really beat them to death. I really have to get on building a few more but they are such a pain.

peterock

#12 Post by peterock »

Yes ATK set me up as a dealer, doensn't mean I have all the right tools. I've never claimed to be a machanic and would work on everyone's quads. But now since I need the tool for my own personal use, I will have one.

haydug

#13 Post by haydug »

Pete: This is not a stab at you personally so please don't take it at that. However, that is a huge problem with ATK.
Do you think Honda will setup someone as a dealer who doesn't even have a flywheel puller? That would honestly be like me taking my Honda 400ex down and them not haveing a sparkplug wrench. Now, if I am a newbie ATK owner and take my bike to the local dealer, and they look at it like they are lost, and can't check the obvious 3 most common problems with my bike, I'm going to get discouraged and call it a peice of shi*. So, to come onto a website and claim to be the newest and latest ATK dealer, I would assume I can drive to your shop and get my bike fixed. However ATK seems to just "set up dealers" out of the blue to anyone who will promise to buy a bike or whatever. Now who will fix the bikes out there if the dealers can't? Maybe ATK should make it mandatory for any dealer to buy a basic tool package, and attend a basic school on these machines.

UpsMan

#14 Post by UpsMan »

QUOTE (haydug @ Jun 11 2007, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pete: This is not a stab at you personally so please don't take it at that. However, that is a huge problem with ATK.
Do you think Honda will setup someone as a dealer who doesn't even have a flywheel puller? That would honestly be like me taking my Honda 400ex down and them not haveing a sparkplug wrench. Now, if I am a newbie ATK owner and take my bike to the local dealer, and they look at it like they are lost, and can't check the obvious 3 most common problems with my bike, I'm going to get discouraged and call it a peice of shi*. So, to come onto a website and claim to be the newest and latest ATK dealer, I would assume I can drive to your shop and get my bike fixed. However ATK seems to just "set up dealers" out of the blue to anyone who will promise to buy a bike or whatever. Now who will fix the bikes out there if the dealers can't? Maybe ATK should make it mandatory for any dealer to buy a basic tool package, and attend a basic school on these machines.

I COMPLETELY AGREE. I know Pete, he is a real good guy, so I'm not cutting him down one bit. I don't think it was ever his intention to be an ATK dealer. ATK was supposed to be selling bikes and quads at some Harley dealerships I had heard. Hopefully they have mechanics there that are trained by ATK to work on them. I think that is a step in the right direction. Get some mainstream exposure. It can't hurt.

Haydug, if you are having problems with your ATKannondale, you can take it over to C27's house. He can fix it right up for you. Thats what I do.

haydug

#15 Post by haydug »

You think C27 would fix my dale?

UpsMan

#16 Post by UpsMan »

Do you still have a Dale? Would you let him?

wayneschofield

#17 Post by wayneschofield »

What do I do for a living....?

I have an engine mapping company, but I have worked in racing all of my life.

If I don't know something, I just do my best to find out what I need/want to know....

Engine and suspension design is really my forte, but engine software enhancement is a nicer job to do day to day so that's what I do to pay for kids and toys....

I think I must be lazy, because I don't like having to fix something twice. If you do it right you only have to do it once. Plus, a broken car never won a race....

Here's a few pics of cars on my dyno....

wayneschofield

#18 Post by wayneschofield »

Oh yes, the flywheel problem is going to be worse on a 'stroker' motor.....

The longer the stroke, the higher the piston speed.

The higher the piston speed, the more energy it has to take from the crank mid-stroke.

The more energy taken from the crank, the greater the acceleration.

The greater the acceleration, the greater the torsional force on the flywheel...

peterock

#19 Post by peterock »

QUOTE (haydug @ Jun 11 2007, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Will Honda set-up someone as a dealer who doesn't even have a flywheel puller? What does that have to do with anything??? Maybe you should fully understand the situation before you decide to chime in with your wisdom that has nothing to do with what I originally posted. I started this post in regards to a problem I had. I've never claimed to be latest, greatest and hottest new ATK dealer on the block. Everyone sits and complains that ATK doesn't do anything for those that step-up to represent them. When ATK does step-up, they didn't do it how it should have been done. I agreed to step-up and help ATK and ATK turned around and helped me out. If they wouldn't have made me a dealer, I would probably no longer own one as I wouldn't have a "local" means to get parts. I would be willing to bet Roger wouldn't have his ATK either. But I guess that was a bad move on ATK's part???? Because I don't have a puller???? Sorry I don't have several grand laying around to go out and buy every part and little gizmo that a complete shop should have. But guess what, I never claimed to be your local ATK maintenance shop. If someone needs a part, I can get it for them. Never said I could install it. If someone came knocking on my door, yes I would see if it was a quick easy fix but odds are I would more then likely send them to Wistech or C27.

Watch out Wayne, next thing they will be gunning for you since you are trying to do something good for the community. Hope you have the special flywheel puller per Haydug's requisites before you go a step further.

2000ex

#20 Post by 2000ex »

QUOTE (peterock @ Jun 11 2007, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Will Honda set-up someone as a dealer who doesn't even have a flywheel puller? What does that have to do with anything??? Maybe you should fully understand the situation before you decide to chime in with your wisdom that has nothing to do with what I originally posted. I started this post in regards to a problem I had. I've never claimed to be latest, greatest and hottest new ATK dealer on the block. Everyone sits and complains that ATK doesn't do anything for those that step-up to represent them. When ATK does step-up, they didn't do it how it should have been done. I agreed to step-up and help ATK and ATK turned around and helped me out. If they wouldn't have made me a dealer, I would probably no longer own one as I wouldn't have a "local" means to get parts. I would be willing to bet Roger wouldn't have his ATK either. But I guess that was a bad move on ATK's part???? Because I don't have a puller???? Sorry I don't have several grand laying around to go out and buy every part and little gizmo that a complete shop should have. But guess what, I never claimed to be your local ATK maintenance shop. If someone needs a part, I can get it for them. Never said I could install it. If someone came knocking on my door, yes I would see if it was a quick easy fix but odds are I would more then likely send them to Wistech or C27.
Watch out Wayne, next thing they will be gunning for you since you are trying to do something good for the community. Hope you have the special flywheel puller per Haydug's requisites before you go a step further.

Several grand? It is a $10-15 tool that is a must for anyone who owns one of these bikes. I think Doug's post was right on target....nothing against you whatsoever. Go and try and get to sell Yamaha, Honda, Harley, Suzuki, kawi, KTM and I could keep going and they would want several things to be covered on your behalf to maintain the integrity of their name and the products they deliver.