Exhaust Options,

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
cannondale27

#11 Post by cannondale27 »

I agree with UPSman you must be doing the test wrong.Couple weekend ago I got stopped by DNR.They did a very good test using sound meter,VibraTach and also a calibration meter I had a wideopen FMF Ti and it got 107db.They let us go though not ticket thankfully.I cant remember if its A or B scale that you need to use but that makes a big difference.Also it must be calibrated everytime.With SuperTrapp discs on both YFZ and Dale to get under our clubs noise restriction of 92db I could only run 4discs with 3 being safer noise wise.This did really kill the power of both motors but still have plenty fun riding.

thedeatons

#12 Post by thedeatons »

Okay... we will double check procedures and get back to you guys.... This still doesn't explain the ridiculousness of checking dB levels at a racetrack.... Next thing ya know NASCAR will require catalytic converters...

cannondale27

#13 Post by cannondale27 »

Totally agree.AMA should have been fighting for us rather than trying to appease the couch potatoes that sit around listening for any noise from someone having fun just so they can ruin thier day.

funmachines

#14 Post by funmachines »

Does anyone have pictures of the insides of a muffler that is quiet and doesn't kill the motor? I have a stock X440s FMF and put on the newer modular end cap, new packing and the "quiet core" (it's just a cheesy piece of smaller diameter tubing!). It's still too loud for the 96 dB Ca green sticker areas. I'd rather fabricate some baffles or some other sound reduction that actually works instead of buying a new muffler that is still too loud or chokes it to death like a supertrapp. Any ideas or pictures? I have a dB meter I can borrow from work so I can make sure it works before the ranger gives me a ticket.

Thanks

peterock

#15 Post by peterock »

Insides of the HMF QRS exhaust Roger was originally posting about. this is for two exhausts.

funmachines

#16 Post by funmachines »

Thanks

cannondale27

#17 Post by cannondale27 »

I will take some pics later but two big helpers for noise.On Toaster silencers there is a couple mesh pads right on the outer "can" they do alot probably by canceling vibration.On the 02 silencer they route the exhaust back 180deg then through a internal muffler about 1.5in outside with a 1in core about 3inches long just that little piece makes a big difference even if its just stuck on end of exhaust.

peterock

#18 Post by peterock »

keep in mind with the picture I posted, there is a solid internal pipe that runs about 3/4 of the length.

Sand_Blaster

#19 Post by Sand_Blaster »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Jun 15 2007, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The BW Flow Muffler, HMF, & FMF all have quiet core options that should all get you under 99.9db. Brad even has a surprise he may hook you up with as well. He found 5 new Ti head pipes and had Flow mufflers made to fit them. This will give you one of the highest flowing pipes ever made for the Dale and a pretty reliable muffler as well. I believe the Flow mufflers have two or three options for core inserts. Good Luck!

I'm doing this route for sure I really like my BW exhaust tongue.gif

funmachines

#20 Post by funmachines »

Last night I brought a dB meter home from work. The X440s with the new modular cap and the "quiet core" (cheesy tube and plate) was still over 102 dB at 1/2 redline and just under 96 at idle. The Glamis quad with a Yoshi exhaust and their quiet core was a tad less both at idle and 1/2 redline but still was too loud for green sticker areas if they get nit picky. Kind of funny, but the clatter from the trans is also over 96 db if you get close to the side of the case with the meter.

I made a new core to try with the X440s exhaust. I'll try it tonight and see what I get. I'm taking my son out tomorrow morning on his XR70 for the first time and I don't want to be sent home...