Break-In

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
zacke22

#1 Post by zacke22 »

how does everyone normally run thier engine during break-in? low rpms and not alot of revving right?
thanks,
Zack

rayspeed

#2 Post by rayspeed »

Two schools of thought on that with each side making good points. You may want to read this...
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
I like to go somewhere in between all things considered.
If you have the conventional oil in there for break in I would vary the load and rpms and not wring it out. It is more about running it though a couple of heat cycles cooling fully in between. Then put the synthetic in there and ride it like you stole it.
Well that is my method anyway.
I broke in my first dale rebuild with a 20 min mild ride at glamis and been riding hard ever since. Funny thing is that it has a atk ballanced crank and a piston and liner that I would not even consider reusing today. Probably has over 200 hours on it, yeah I know... It will go thru it before next dune season!
Good luck whatever you choose...
Ray

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

I do it same as Rayspeed does.Always with Dino oil for breakin.

timbomoose

#4 Post by timbomoose »

I break them in like the factories do . One or 2 heat cycles then on the dyno with non synthetic. Then switch to synthetic after 20 minutes. Do not put around or the rings wont seat.

MyCannibal

#5 Post by MyCannibal »

I've always heard ride it like you stole it...right outta the box...thats what I did with mine...just make sure you change to synthetic first oil change...

jesshamner

#6 Post by jesshamner »

I think its safe to ride it like you stole it but the heat cycles are the important part. I broke mine in by following the manual and regular 10w40 oil. The manual says not to go above 50% throttle but who can do that when you get a new toy? I work my way through the first 4 gears since 5th is such a high ratio. Then I slow down and downshift back to first. Then repeat. I did this for the suggested heat cycle time and then let it cool down for a long time. I did all this on flat ground so I didn't put too much of a load on the bike.

Then the next day...I raced it. smile.gif The real break-in.

Happyboy

#7 Post by Happyboy »

Yeah, this last year I have broke in 2 quads...1 had about 15 minutes on it then I took it to a 2 hour XC race. Runs awesome. The other quad was the drag quad that had 0 time on it when i took it to the dunes. Ran great.

Have I mentioned that it has the current dyno record also. smile.gif

zacke22

#8 Post by zacke22 »

thanks for all the help everyone. i should have it completely together today and have it broke in by this weekend.
Zack

Sand_Blaster

#9 Post by Sand_Blaster »

Thanks for making this thread, cause I'll have to break mine in for the first time this August.

claas900

#10 Post by claas900 »

I've been told to Break it in like you ride it. Compression is what holds the rings out witch is what seats the rings in. But then again this topic is like you know what and everybody has one. I've heard stories about new motors letting go and the engine builder says its wasn't broken in right witch is bs I think. If something is going to go wrong with the motor its going to happen when its new, something was set up to tight or to lose is why something went wrong. I've been told run it for a bit then change oil and filter.