Question for the electrical Gurus???

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
DMAC10

#1 Post by DMAC10 »

Had an interesting occurance last night on the ol dale, I was breaking in a new section of my trail and the Dale just dies, ( Nothing new this happens every now and then, and then starts right back up ).

Well this time it didn't, luckily I was only about 1/2 mile from the house.

When I tried to fire it up nothing, this was unusual, so after some handy dandy evaluations I found my trouble. The fuse had blown. This was a first.

So I did some more checking and found that my handle bar clamp bolts had pinched a wire to my on/off button, so of course this caused the fuse to blow. So I walked to the house got a fuse and electrical tape. Walked back, taped up the wire ( Temporary fix) and installed the fuse. Fired right up and I went back to the house.

So with all this history here is my question.

Could this be my mistery of the occasional shutting off, with out it blowing the fuse??
Because when it shuts off the fan doesn't even run until you turn the key off and then back on.

If this was the cause would it shutoff without blowing the fuse??? And then I guess the fuse weakened overtime and then blew!!!

So what do you all think, I Sure hope this is it!!!

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

That could very well be.Often a quick short wont blow the fuse.Glad you found it without even needing a tow!

DMAC10

#3 Post by DMAC10 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Jul 17 2007, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That could very well be.Often a quick short wont blow the fuse.Glad you found it without even needing a tow!

Thanks Cannondale27
Your right there.
Have you ever tried to tow a quad out of the woods by yourself. If you can't raise it up on the tow vehicle, it sure makes for a funny site weaving every where.

So if a quick short won't blow the fuse, then it could tell the quad to shutoff. That makes sense.
Would you believe that the starter button wires were the only ones that I didn't replace during the rebuild. Every other wire was replaced. Just my luck.

Another question,( I like to get my moneys worth) What would make the starter just make a whirring sound, it does this a couple of times then turns the motor over. Is the starter going bad, if no biggie, I have another. but I didn't want to change it out if it was somthing els?

So more input please.

NRath

#4 Post by NRath »

QUOTE (DMAC10 @ Jul 17 2007, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another question,( I like to get my moneys worth) What would make the starter just make a whirring sound, it does this a couple of times then turns the motor over. Is the starter going bad, if no biggie, I have another. but I didn't want to change it out if it was somthing els?
So more input please.

That sounds like the starter clutch is slipping. The motor is free spinning for a second, then the clutch grabs and turns over the motor.

DMAC10

#5 Post by DMAC10 »

QUOTE (NRath @ Jul 17 2007, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That sounds like the starter clutch is slipping. The motor is free spinning for a second, then the clutch grabs and turns over the motor.

So to resolve this I need to do what. rolleyes.gif

Adjust, Tighten , Replace, ( Hit with Hammer??)

I need detailed instructions,

I just had a birthday and I'm not copeing with having to think lately. Could this be the beginning of my midlife crisis??? wink.gif No Comments allowed from anyone from Indiana ( JESS)

Honestly what would be my next step?

peterock

#6 Post by peterock »

Need to replace. They run around the $70 mark. I'm sure someone on here will follow-up with a detailed instruction guide of some sort. If memory serves me right, you have to remove the crank.

rayspeed

#7 Post by rayspeed »

I am curious about this too...
There is a one way sprag clutch kind of thing at the end of the ballance shaft... I guess that keeps the starter from being driven by the engine.
There is also a clutch kind of thing that is easy to get to behind that breather plate in front of and a little above the plastic flywheel cover. I have a theory on what that is doing but it may be wrong.
Which one creates which symptom when they go bad? As it happens I think the hard one to get to has the problem more often from not getting cleaned out from a crank failure.

Maybe somebody should sticky a good explanation of what is doing what and the failure mode...

Ray

kdeal

#8 Post by kdeal »

The quick short C27 is talking about is similar to a problem the X440s motorcycles & any of the bikes/quads with those stupid paddle switches. The stop switch would intermittently ground to shut the bike off at the most inopertune times. Like while going up the face of a jump (can you say nose dive). But, I hate to be a kill joy, I think you may have 2 problems. The short is a direct short to ground, the other I mentioned will never casue a fuse to blow. If you have a D&M try reflashing the hex code and map to just do a sort of flush of the ECU.

On the starter problem, I think Pete hit the nail on the head. The starter one-way bearing is major surgery as it is behind the crank cartridge plate. Meaning the motor will have to come out and a lot of work. Don't forget that you had the starter clutch installed correctly a while back, maybe the plates are slipping. I would try a different starter clutch pack first (easy swap, just 3 bolts), before pulling the motor. By all means wait until winter to do anything major. I can bring a spare starter and starter clutch with me to the group ride to just be safe. If not we can get Jess to push start you with help from the triplets! ALso, double check the idle speed to make sure your idle is high enough.

captmoto

#9 Post by captmoto »

Did the bolt cut through the wire? That would have made a path to ground and blown the fuse. I have seen a pitched wire act like an open or broken wire before. Maybe it was pitched off tight enough to break most of the wires inside.

DMAC10

#10 Post by DMAC10 »

QUOTE (captmoto @ Jul 17 2007, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did the bolt cut through the wire? That would have made a path to ground and blown the fuse. I have seen a pitched wire act like an open or broken wire before. Maybe it was pitched off tight enough to break most of the wires inside.

It didn't break the wires just peeled the rubber coating off, but I'm going to check all out, before I go riding again.