Spun 1st flywheel

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
toothandnail

#1 Post by toothandnail »

Well it finally happened at a race last week, I was running first when it seemed like I turned off the key mad.gif switched to my sons quad, for next race , I started back row since different quad than heat race, This was the most screwed up TT race we've been to, it was a fair race and the guy in charge was a Nascar wannabe so thats how he ran the race, hole shot was lined up 2by2 inatead of across the track, and any caution the race was restarted single file, holeshot again blink.gif blink.gif I went from last to first, spun out in a corner, lined up last again, went from last to first again, crashed passing a lapper , then called it quits tongue.gif that was my 3rd class of the night and I was beat!! AM I too old or What?? Over all I got 1 1st and 2DNF , I was 1st in both of them as well , oh well thats what makes it fun laugh.gif
How's the new fly wheels coming along? What are the rest of you doing for replacements?
Checked 1 on my son's quad ,it's got some streaks comming out from the center hub ,which was what mine looked like just before the race, so it might be going soon, on the ATK they are just starting about 1/4" long now,bike looks good for now.
We were just talking about how we haven't had any flywheel problems, with all the racing we've been doing wacko.gif maybe the streaks are not an indicator of impending failure but seems like it might be

wayneschofield

#2 Post by wayneschofield »

QUOTE (tooth&nail @ Aug 6 2007, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well it finally happened at a race last week, I was running first when it seemed like I turned off the key mad.gif
How's the new fly wheels coming along? What are the rest of you doing for replacements?
Checked 1 on my son's quad ,it's got some streaks comming out from the center hub ,which was what mine looked like just before the race, so it might be going soon, also on the ATK they are just starting about 1/4" long now.
We were just talking about how we haven't had any flywheel problems, with all the racing we've been doing wacko.gif maybe thats not an indicator of impending failure but seems like it might be

You were running first? That must have hurt!!!

The 'streaks' will be the joint failing for sure. It will last better if you can keep the revs down a bit for now.... When is your next race?

Could you possibly send your busted one(s) to 'Boomer or C27? They are collecting some up to send to me so I can finish the remaining prototype flywheels off here. After that is done I can send them back over there for 'testing'.

Ron Dernowski should be testing one this weekend in a six-hour race if he gets it on Wednesday like the UPS man promised.....

I am trying my best to get these 'put to bed' now so I can just place a proper order for a proper quantity and try to get the price down as a result. Right now, it's looking like they'll end up costing me over $300 each finished and balanced which, to be truthful, is a bit more than I would have liked. I am not looking for any profit from the job at all but the retailers (probably 'Boomer, C27, BW, ATK and KDeal) are all going to need a little something for their trouble as it is their business.....

It's all a vicious circle now though. I need to place an order for some real quantity to get the price down, however, I am worried about ordering too many because, if they are too expensive people may not buy them. I only really want to order a few, say 20, so that if they don't sell I'll only be about three grand (????) out of pocket (which is where the money to do this is coming from). The trouble is, if I only order 20, the price isn't going to come down much at all from where it is now.

So, what I am saying is, I really need to know how many people REALLY want a proper flywheel, so I can get an appropriate quantity made and get the best price I can. Enough people have said "I want one" but that doesn't count for too much if I have a bill for 50 wheels when I only shifted 10! I am not doing this for any profit (though 'returned favours' are always nice) but, by the same token, I don't want to be savagely out of pocket either.....

Anyway, I'm rambling now,.... too bad about the weekend and sorry I didn't get these finished sooner!

toothandnail

#3 Post by toothandnail »

The next one is Aug. 18 , not sure if I'll run that one ,as it's a new track and they want me to show them how to set things up and run the race. It's to hard to get your head in the game when trying to manage/score a race then quick put your gear on and go lineup wacko.gif

wayneschofield

#4 Post by wayneschofield »

QUOTE (tooth&nail @ Aug 6 2007, 11:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The next one is Aug. 18 , not sure if I'll run that one ,as it's a new track and they want me to show them how to set things up and run the race. It's to hard to get your head in the game when trying to manage/score a race then quick put your gear on and go lineup wacko.gif

It would be too much to have some more ready by then anyway.

If you can wrestle one off one of the four guys mentioned before in the mean time, then great, but I won't be able to supply one from this end if you do decide to race on the 18th....

After that, when is your next one?

Cheers..

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

I ran a oval couple times setup like that.Us quad guys arent used to starting on the move and there were at least 3 restart everytime.Sucks you flywheel spun.I was going to have USAMOTO test mine if they are running indoors since season is just about over.Or will keep it and test it at SilverLake dunes since last year 3stockers failed in same day there.I would think that price of stock flywheels should be coming down or should be with promising replacement on horizon.

wayneschofield

#6 Post by wayneschofield »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Aug 7 2007, 12:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would think that price of stock flywheels should be coming down or should be with promising replacement on horizon.

Not much though I hope.... I know the replacements will be a 'do it once' job but, the way things are going, they're going to be much more $ than the stock ones as it is....

I guess the stockers will 'dry-up' though sometime....

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

Not likely I believe there is alot of stockers left but they do no good if you cant trust them.