Which Exhaust System would be the best?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Blackwidow440

#1 Post by Blackwidow440 »

I am woundering what the best exhaust system would be for my cannibal right now i have a HMF Sport series on it and i like it but im am woundering if there is something a little better. I race Harescrambles so it would have to be light weight.

Happyboy

#2 Post by Happyboy »

What do you mean better? Power wise you aren't going to gain much at all by going to be better exhaust. Maybe 1hp max. I have the HMF and love it. They are rock solid and create great power. The best option power wise out there is the dual can setup. They are incredible but cost a pretty penny and require a remote rezzy shock. But, for XC racing, suspension before power any day.

speedracer

#3 Post by speedracer »

QUOTE (Happyboy @ Aug 14 2007, 05:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What do you mean better? Power wise you aren't going to gain much at all by going to be better exhaust. Maybe 1hp max. I have the HMF and love it. They are rock solid and create great power. The best option power wise out there is the dual can setup. They are incredible but cost a pretty penny and require a remote rezzy shock. But, for XC racing, suspension before power any day.

What ever became of the duels anyway?

Happyboy

#4 Post by Happyboy »

they exist and work great. smile.gif

cobradaler

#5 Post by cobradaler »

pic of the new cans are in the timbo section.

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

I agree with Happyboy. What you have right now is what you need for the application. The HMF is durable, is very close to the best for power and you have it installed on your quad already.

UpsMan

#7 Post by UpsMan »

HMF durable? are you guys smoking crack? I haven't had any luck with them, durability wise. Good power yes, durable, **** **** no. I think a hollowed out corn cob would last just as long. Oh crap, are you guys saying that compared to other pipes, hmf is more durable? Holy crap. I shudder to think how long the other pipes last. To me, a decent pipe should last a season before metal parts started falling out of it.

wistech

#8 Post by wistech »

I dont know what is up with yours roger but most of the ones I have dealt with held up for years , never fell apart or broke the mounts. Of course those were the old style ones that were riveted together. They didnt break up after a few minutes like the crappy big guns.

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

C'mon Roger lets be honest here.It was your silent core that fell apart.Sucks but I think all these silent cores wont last since its like putting a cup over a rocket plume!Only other issue you had was caused by doing wheelies a bit to far in the whoops tongue.gif

UpsMan

#10 Post by UpsMan »

Here is the deal. I bought the HMF QRS. It worked great the first summer. In the fall when I removed it, some of the metal mesh inside was broken loose. I sent it back to HMF and they repaired and repacked it for $20. I think that is a great deal for getting your silencer re-packed. So far, so good. This year, second season, only a month or so into it, somethin broke near the rear that holds the center mesh thing in place. It didn't take long for all the packing to blow out. I posted pictures here somewhere for you guys. With races every weekend, I didn't have the luxury of sending it out to HMF to be repaired, which they would have done. Peterock talked to them and got them to send the needed materials for us to repair it here, without the down time. While waiting for that, I destroyed the whole pipe in the crash you are referring to. I don't blame HMF for that one.
The quiet core pipe C27 is talking about is the HMF sport I picked up to get me by while I'm waiting for a new HMF QRS to get built. An HMF sport pipe with a quiet core will not last, don't even bother trying it. It holds too much heat inside. If you have a sport pipe and just run it open, it will probably last longer, I don't know, I haven't tried it. I need to keep the db's down here.
For me, the bottom line on HMF is they have good customer service, their pipe works well to give good power and low noise output, but for some reason the insides aren't holding up. I need two of them so when one is being fixed I can use the other.