Coolant in oil

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
orbitz

#1 Post by orbitz »

Hello,

Sorry for my bad english... I`m from germany and i own a cannondale cannibal. After my last ride the motor was full of a mixture from oil and coolant. I think it comes from the Airbox.
Anybody an idea? Maybe the Valve cover?

Regards....

orbitz

wayneschofield

#2 Post by wayneschofield »

QUOTE (orbitz @ Aug 22 2007, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello,

Sorry for my bad english... I`m from germany and i own a cannondale cannibal. After my last ride the motor was full of a mixture from oil and coolant. I think it comes from the Airbox.
Anybody an idea? Maybe the Valve cover?

Regards....

orbitz

Hi Orbitz

Valve cover is most likely cause. Don't run the engine until you have found the cause. You can get the water pump cover off without removing the engine to see if it is the valve cover. It's a bit fiddly if you have big fingers. If it is the cover you'll need to lower the engine down to get the cover changed. You'll need to clean all the mess out of it too, of course....

I am in Europe too, the UK, and your English is much better than my German!

Cheers

Wayne.

speed2424

#3 Post by speed2424 »

I don't mean to scare you, BUT I just rebuilt a motor for one of the guys that ride with me for that same reason. I found a bad quad ring on the piston sleeve.

kdeal

#4 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (speed2424 @ Aug 22 2007, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't mean to scare you, BUT I just rebuilt a motor for one of the guys that ride with me for that same reason. I found a bad quad ring on the piston sleeve.

Remember he said it was in the airbox. My guess is two problems. Valve cover corrosion & too much fluid in the oil system (coolant & oil) or overfilled oil & coolant.

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

I would bet on a cracked sleeve.Usually even if valvecover gets real bad it doesnt make it past the inner oil seal since it comes out the weep hole first.

orbitz

#6 Post by orbitz »

Hello again,

thank you for the quick answers! The Motor wasn`t overfilled with coolant or oil. I????ve removed the coolant pump cover and i can see a tiny hole.
I think thats the problem right?

Regards...

orbitz

[attachment=4467:cover.JPG]

kdeal

#7 Post by kdeal »

C27, why would it have to get past the second seal if the leak is in the side of the valve cover????

Orbitz: May guess is that is your only problem, other than why the oil is in the air box. My guess again is too much oil (& coolant) in the frame. Drain the oil plug (or banjo bolt) at the lower part of the motor, BOTH side spar fittings need to be emptied & the oil filter. If you have the banjo type bolt for an oil plug, you need to do the oil vent line update. This will help in keeping the oil out of the airbox.

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

Lol yes thats it.Kdeal usually they rot out worst right around the seal.Obviously I was wrong in this case.Wow!

kdeal

#9 Post by kdeal »

To your credit, you have seen way more cracked sleeves than I have! I'm still a rookie....