Valve cover question

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
440efismokinu

#1 Post by 440efismokinu »

[attachment=4441:DSC01965.jpg][attachment=4442:DSC01966.jpg][attachment=4443:DSC
01967.jpg][attachment=4444:DSC01968.jpg]

Hey guys i took my valve cover off today and it doesn't seem to be corroded. should i still get an aluminum one.

ozarkdaler

#2 Post by ozarkdaler »

Yes. There is no since in trying to be cheap on the updates especially when the motor is out. If you do not do it now you will regret it later.

claas900

#3 Post by claas900 »

If you have money to burn then do it if not I wouldn't do it. That one is one of the best ones iv seen. I'm still running the stock one and mines an 03. Tho mine looks very bad I don't think twice about running it. Yours looks almost brand new,run it..

Easy E

#4 Post by Easy E »

Run it, but use Evans coolant to prevent the corrosion.

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Maybe it had Evans in it.That sure does look nice yet.Just a little starting by the bleed screw.Easily get another year out of it even with normal coolant.Your lucky.

kdeal

#6 Post by kdeal »

That was Cannondale's attempt to cure the problem near the end. They powdercoated them black and it does slow the corrosion down in the beginning. Since the cover is like new, I would either reuse it with Evans coolant only or sell it to one of these guys who don't mind using them and replace it with an aluminum one. I personally don't like to guess how long it will last without using Evans as the only source of coolant. I have pulled motors apart on new bikes out of the crate that look much worst than that one. So you defintely have two good options here. Good Luck!

Easy E

#7 Post by Easy E »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Aug 22 2007, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe it had Evans in it.That sure does look nice yet.Just a little starting by the bleed screw.Easily get another year out of it even with normal coolant.Your lucky.

I had a lucky one too. My 03 Speed had green coolant when I bought it and it looked every bit as good as that one! Big smiles there....just a switch to Evans and haven't messed with it since! Maybe it was "Wednesday" powder coat job VS. a "Friday @ 4:45pm" job...