Which Exhaust System would be the best?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
cannondale27

#31 Post by cannondale27 »

Makes sense to me.Often thought about running pipe to front and putting silencer there.Figured we may need extra length in exhaust pipe but dyno tests havent shown that it would work better.

speed_demon

#32 Post by speed_demon »

What about Blackwidow's exhaust?

UpsMan

#33 Post by UpsMan »

Good question. Is anyone running the Black Widow exhaust with quiet cores in for any length of time having success? I am really committed to having an even quieter exhaust for this coming season. D-23 is talking about lowering their max db's every year by one until they hit 96. That means I need to be at 98 next season. I have heard for d-23 hairscrambles you have to be at 96 NOW. I really want to be able to go to any race at any time without worrying about passing sound check. I bet Wisconsin (d-16) will be testing soon too. Not to mention if I want to trail ride all the hassles that could happen. Another factor are my neighbors down the road, I'm sure the quieter I am, the happier they are.........

kdeal

#34 Post by kdeal »

Good answers Roger. I wonder if vibration is causing any of our issues as well. Since you are dedicated to running quieter, I think you have run a quiet core longer than any of us. I say this because the first Top Gun exhausts literally vibrated themselves to death and got a pretty bad rep from Dale owners. They did end up going to a heavier rivet in the cans, but by then their rep with us was shot. I think the reason everyone is having good luck with the HMF (sans quiet core) is the fact that they chose 2 mounts (front and rear) and it is pretty sturdily built. The only exception seems to be the FMF Ti exhaust that weighs less due to the material to make it and it is supported by a clamp that flexes a lot. Let us know what you find out as I would be interested in a quieter exhaust that works good as well.

cannondale27

#35 Post by cannondale27 »

I think vibration does contribute.Noticed alot of the pipe makers have been going to rubber mounts.Since I plan on trailriding alot this fall I am going back to the stock toaster.Plan to gut one and get it tested by DNR.Will let you know what they say.Buddy got his LTR with gutted stock exhaust tested and he got 99db!Really suprised me but his open airfilter may have contributed since its right at back.

UpsMan

#36 Post by UpsMan »

The HMF sport with quiet core is holding up for now. I used the "pillow" packing that hmf uses in their QRS series in the latest re-pack, and it seems to be holding up much better. The quiet core is holding together yet too. I had it re-welded a little better, and sandwiched it in better so it couldn't move at all. I used bigger rivets to put it all back together. So far, so good. I don't like corking this can up because it really isn't designed for it, but my new QRS hasn't shown up yet. If this latest rebuild holds together for another three weeks, the season is over, and I'm going to try some other pipes. I don't know which yet. I'm interested in the X-pipe by Aaen, the black widow pipe, and the fmf Q4. We'll see how things go.

UpsMan

#37 Post by UpsMan »

Just for an update, the corked up hmf sport with the high tech pillow packing is blowing fiberglass out of it pretty good now, and it is def. getting louder. I havent' been using it that much either. I swapped out to a stock round '02 for a while and haven't really ridden much since I put this back on. I don't think running a quiet core in a sport series is a very good idea long term. Too much heat.

cannondale27

#38 Post by cannondale27 »

Gutted toaster seems to be best option for us.No packing in it to blow out and its Stainless so heat shouldnt be issue.They do need to be reinforced where can mounts to frame in middle.

UpsMan

#39 Post by UpsMan »

I have a couple I could gut. Now, I wonder how many dbs they are when gutted?

peterock

#40 Post by peterock »

ATK has them clearanced out right now for $50 for the canister and head pipe as well.