starter free spins, but only in neutral??

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
bgent

#1 Post by bgent »

I have read the other posts on this but never seen someone with this exact problem so here I go, 03 blaze about 30 hours all original, Has not been started in approx 5 or 6 months. New plug new batt. etc... Now starter all of a sudden starts spinning free, it catches every few bumps of the starter and its now being a pain in the A$$ to start, put it in gear though and it engages NO problem moving the bike across the garage.. Any suggestions please!!!!!

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Its still the one way bearing.I cannot explain why it would work any better in gear.Maybe the extra load slows the starter down and allows one way to catch better.

Happyboy

#3 Post by Happyboy »

QUOTE (bgent @ Sep 26 2007, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now starter all of a sudden starts spinning free, it catches every few bumps of the starter and its now being a pain in the A$$ to start, put it in gear though and it engages NO problem moving the bike across the garage.. Any suggestions please!!!!!

Its the 1 way bearing. It will catch everyone once in a while for a short period of time and it will just get worse and worse till it just won't catch anymore. Sorry man, gotta tear it down. Its just a random failure.

bgent

#4 Post by bgent »

Any idea where I may find info on doing this repair? I am in Northern VA is there anyone even remotely close that works on these things? This is a real shame as this bike has at most 25 hour on it, I doubt it really even has that. I am thinking I should just shoot it with my 500 magnum, oops, I mean just sell it... wink.gif

Happyboy

#5 Post by Happyboy »

There is a manual online http://www.cannondaler.com/files/cdale/man...ce%20Manual.pdf
You will have to drop the motor and tear the engine completely down. It sucks. As for anyone near you....I am not sure. Timbo is up in PA. Jaybr may be willing to help you out. He has dropped off the radar though. He lurks everyonce in a while. You might end up having to send the motor off if you don't do it yourself.

bgent

#6 Post by bgent »

QUOTE (Happyboy @ Sep 27 2007, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is a manual online http://www.cannondaler.com/files/cdale/man...ce%20Manual.pdf
You will have to drop the motor and tear the engine completely down. It sucks. As for anyone near you....I am not sure. Timbo is up in PA. Jaybr may be willing to help you out. He has dropped off the radar though. He lurks everyonce in a while. You might end up having to send the motor off if you don't do it yourself.

PA may be close enough< I will have to see how difficult this looks, thanks for the help/advice.