Cam timming???

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
m_mcgranahan

#1 Post by m_mcgranahan »

Hi,

I think I might have miss timed my cams and I was wondering if anyone has a pic of the correct timing mark alighment? I am running motocross and want good lowend to midrange power.

Thanks

God bless...

Mark

Easy E

#2 Post by Easy E »

Engine service manual available to download here:

http://www.cannondaler.com/manuals.php

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

Here you go.From the manual.TDC bolt engaged with crank.Important thing is to count the teeth on idler to the marks on cam gears.No matter where you set the cam timing the tooth count ALWAYS will be the same.The Pin locations indicated in white are to be ignored and cams degreed in or use the stock positions.
[attachment=4921:CamTiming__Medium_.jpg]

peterock

#4 Post by peterock »

Steve,

Wasn't the picture of the exhaust cam wrong? Intake cam at the 1 and 7 o'clock position and the Exhaust cam at 11 and 4 from the cam lobe?

Nickc711

#5 Post by Nickc711 »

QUOTE (peterock @ Nov 4 2007, 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Steve,

Wasn't the picture of the exhaust cam wrong? Intake cam at the 1 and 7 o'clock position and the Exhaust cam at 11 and 4 from the cam lobe?

can someone verify this?

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

The pin locations should be ignored or run stock positions if not degreeing.Everything else including tooth count is correct.

Easy E

#7 Post by Easy E »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Nov 5 2007, 12:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The pin locations should be ignored or run stock positions if not degreeing.Everything else including tooth count is correct.

C27 is absolutely right. I've seen cams come through that although pin settings were correct per the manual, the degree wheel told a different story (example: actual degree on an intake came was 98 vs recommended 106 +/- 2 degrees). Your best bet is to always degree your cams to verify they are correct - otherwise you could spend plenty of time and $$ rebuilding a motor just to suffer poor performance due to bad cam timing.

m_mcgranahan

#8 Post by m_mcgranahan »

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the help. is any one looking ot sell a degree wheel at a great price?
Where do I get the info on how to Deg the cams?

Thanks

God bless...

mark

Ps. I am pretty sure that the cams are off because I am running a 96.5 piston, ported head and big gun exhaust and I can't go below 2610 injector flow rate w/o running rich, so I'm pretty sure the motor is not breathing right.

QUOTE (Easy E @ Nov 5 2007, 02:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
C27 is absolutely right. I've seen cams come through that although pin settings were correct per the manual, the degree wheel told a different story (example: actual degree on an intake came was 98 vs recommended 106 +/- 2 degrees). Your best bet is to always degree your cams to verify they are correct - otherwise you could spend plenty of time and $$ rebuilding a motor just to suffer poor performance due to bad cam timing.

Hi

rayspeed

#9 Post by rayspeed »

I have one you can use...
Ray