Clutch noise - Please Help!!

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
DirtDragon

Clutch noise - Please Help!!

#1 Post by DirtDragon »

When I let the clutch out on takeoff it makes a screeching noise only for a second. When I put the wheels in the air and pull the clutch the wheels do not stop rotating. When It's on the ground it will not move with the clutch pulled in. If I put it in a higher gear and hit the throttle it does not rev.. Any ideas what could be causing the screeching noise? I don't think the clutch is slipping or at least not when the clutch is already let out. This is the manual clutch and it was replaced about a month ago. The clutch adjustment thingy is set at 1pm like it's supposed to be. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Start by taking the clutch disks out.Check the ball bearings and the push rod to see if they are worn.

DirtDragon

#3 Post by DirtDragon »

Thanks cannondale27, I had everything checked out and all parts appear to be in good condition. The clutch appeared to be very dry. There is plenty of Tranny oil but all the clutch parts seem like there is very little oil on them. Is there a pump or something that pumps the oil onto the clutch? Any ideas why it is so dry? I ran it within 24hrs of taking it out.

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

No the basket and discs are just lubed from running through the oil.I run the golden spectro trans lube for two strokes in mine.Maybe from not being used the plates dried out?I would try a different oil.

NRath

Re: Clutch noise - Please Help!!

#5 Post by NRath »

Originally posted by DirtDragon
The clutch adjustment thingy is set at 1pm like it's supposed to be.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

It's supposed to be set at 12:00 or more accurately, 37.5mm from the edge of the case. Check your manual for details- it's in there. If you've got a fair amount of hours on yuor quad, you should definitely check the clutch actuating arm. It doesn't appear to be strong enough and will start to deform where the pushrod hits it(down inside the case). You have to take it out to check it. Unhook the cable, take the clutch plates backout, remove the little screw holding it in, and it will pull out. The little half round should be flat on the face. You'll know what I mean if you take it out.
Also, the wheels don't stop on mine either when it's in the air- but that's common. It's actually kinda' convenient for getting the wheels rolling slow to lube the chain!wink.gif

DirtDragon

#6 Post by DirtDragon »

Now you have me worried!!! I have one of the first cases that were used mainly on the FX400's. I was told that the Stage8 update did not apply to my case? Anyone know if this is true? I have owned my Cannibal for almost 2 years without any major motor problems. Thanks!

aroracer72

#7 Post by aroracer72 »

have you replaced the clutch in those 2 years???...iuf not, DO SO, its worn and your hurting your transmission!!!! and as for the clutch plates being dry, lube each side of each one individually and pu them back in one at a time till all are lubed, than you should be set!!!!:head: :hammer:

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

Hmm,Do you have aluminum plates in the clutch.FX originally came with aluminum plates they were updated to steel along with the springs.