Axle locknut questions???

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
NotSoYoungAnymore

#1 Post by NotSoYoungAnymore »

I was told when I purchased my Dale that the axle was a Lonestar +4. I have to assume that it is, so here are my questions.
It has the stock axle locknut and rotor hub that constantly loosens after being tightened. Tonight I was checking it yet again, one of the three small Allen head set screws is broken off.
1. Is the stock locknut my best choice for the application? I think BW has them available.
2. Are the three set screws clamping the locknut in place with a taper flange?
3. I've read posts about the Lonestar splines being damaged by a loose locknut, so is this a possible factor in the constant loosing?
4. I've never disassembled the axle, so I don't know how it's put together, but is the brake caliper supposed to be a little loose on the swing arm?

I'd like to avoid a major axle rebuild and take care of this stuff as I find it.
Thanks guys!

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

The nut screws onto another piece which has the splines on it.The 3 screws keep the nut from unscrewing from the splined piece.If one broke off just find a bigger screw and re tap it.Other option is a RAD nut or a Lonestar Antifade hub which I think works best.

trav

#3 Post by trav »

and yes, the caliper mounts to a plate that fits loosely over essentric. its common for it to wiggle around alittle.

wright

#4 Post by wright »

Just get a pipe wrench and back the lock nut off that has the broken bolt and get some neddle nose and get the broken one out and tap it out bigger or go with the after market one thats what i did after messing with the stock one for about a year

NRath

#5 Post by NRath »

Did the original break from something hitting it or because the threads were jammed up and you were turning it? If the threads are still good, you could probably get it out with a reverse drill bit and/or an ez-out and use the same size screw as a replacement.

NotSoYoungAnymore

#6 Post by NotSoYoungAnymore »

Thanks everybody!