oil leak

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
mikecancu812

#1 Post by mikecancu812 »

I have a 2002 Speed. I last rode it about 2 weeks ago with no problems at all. Its been sitting in the garage since then. I went into the garage today and I found an oil and water puddle underneath it (there was a piece of plastic under it). I don't have any idea of when it leaked. There was a major temp change here from the 60's to the 20's in like a day. I don't know if that would cause anything. But I have my Raptor and a PW 50 in there as well and nothing under them. I haven't had a chance to check where it is leaking yet because I have to go to work. Any ideas would be great. I love the quad but I haven't had a major repair yet. And I don't want to.

speedracer

#2 Post by speedracer »

QUOTE (mikecancu812 @ Feb 8 2008, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a 2002 Speed. I last rode it about 2 weeks ago with no problems at all. Its been sitting in the garage since then. I went into the garage today and I found an oil and water puddle underneath it (there was a piece of plastic under it). I don't have any idea of when it leaked. There was a major temp change here from the 60's to the 20's in like a day. I don't know if that would cause anything. But I have my Raptor and a PW 50 in there as well and nothing under them. I haven't had a chance to check where it is leaking yet because I have to go to work. Any ideas would be great. I love the quad but I haven't had a major repair yet. And I don't want to.

Is the water puddle coolant?

MX Quad Dad

#3 Post by MX Quad Dad »

water and 20 deg. is not a good sign. did it have some sort of anti freeze in???? You need to check which fluid levels are low. also if you haven't moved the quad, let us know where the puddles are (front or rear of the engine and left or right side) also if you have a skid plate, does it look like the oil came across it?

mikecancu812

#4 Post by mikecancu812 »

I went out and checked it today. It looks like theres oil in the radiator overflow.

mikecancu812

#5 Post by mikecancu812 »

Yes I have antifreeze in. It didn't get down to 20 degrees but there was a **** of a temp drop. The oil is low and overflow bottle appears to have oil in it. So whats the diagnosis.

MX Quad Dad

#6 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I guessing you mean engine oil and not tranny oil?

Oil in the coolant, I don't think I have heard of that before, on a Dale anyways

Hopefully one of the guru's here will chime in

mikecancu812

#7 Post by mikecancu812 »

It appears to be comin from the airbox. Took the front cover off of it and there is oil and water in there on everything underneath it (radiator battery etc.). I had topped everything off before my ride and now everything is a little low. Its weird because I didn't notice any leaking when I was riding or loading it in the back of my truck (looked for signs of leaking in the bed and found none) or when I parked it in the garage. Then 2 weeks later a big puddle. Very mysterious.

mikecancu812

#8 Post by mikecancu812 »

Has anyone ever heard of this before? I'd like to try and work on it myself but if it sounds heavy duty technical I may send it out. Please help me Obi Wan's. Your my only hope.

Nickc711

#9 Post by Nickc711 »

well open your airbox...sounds unlikely it came from the airbox...if there is that much oil and coolant you should see a source..sounds like a hole on a hose(or two)...is you coolant temp sensor leaking?

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

Maybe the valvecover rotted through and its coming out weephole.