Clutch problems

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Sand_Blaster

#1 Post by Sand_Blaster »

I cant get the clutch to disengage at all. I've soaked the plates for a day and I've re'bleed the clutch once. I've even messed with the adjustment several times. 3 turns ,1 turn etc... Right now its got stiffer clutch springs to handle more power. Should I buy a new clutch kit? I do have a fiber plate(fin?) bent slightly, but not enough to affect anything. I got the quad off the ground and I let it idle for alittle to maybe soak the plates a bit, & I put it in gear pull in the clutch and the tires spin like crazy lol. I'm just out of ideas, other than just replacing the whole clutch.

thanks guys - hope it made enough sense.

rayspeed

#2 Post by rayspeed »

I had something like that happen once after having one apart. It think it was because the last disc slipped just a bit out of the splines and the hub clamped it all toghether as one. Easy fix but it is very hard to tell just by looking that it had happened until I pulled the six bolts and the hub.
Also having it up on a jack stand may not tell you for sure that it is either engauged or disengauged... there is some minor friction there with it in gear and the tires turning free especially right after you assemble it. For instance if you take any quad and start it with the wheels in the air and you clutch it and put it in any gear the wheels are likely to spin some, but you would not move if it was on the ground.

Sand_Blaster

#3 Post by Sand_Blaster »

QUOTE (rayspeed @ Mar 24 2008, 04:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had something like that happen once after having one apart. It think it was because the last disc slipped just a bit out of the splines and the hub clamped it all toghether as one. Easy fix but it is very hard to tell just by looking that it had happened until I pulled the six bolts and the hub.
Also having it up on a jack stand may not tell you for sure that it is either engauged or disengauged... there is some minor friction there with it in gear and the tires turning free especially right after you assemble it. For instance if you take any quad and start it with the wheels in the air and you clutch it and put it in any gear the wheels are likely to spin some, but you would not move if it was on the ground.

hmm.. maybe I'll keep messing with it.

Sand_Blaster

#4 Post by Sand_Blaster »

I'll probably just buy a new clutch mine are pretty worn it looks like. Would a dale bike clutch work?

rayspeed

#5 Post by rayspeed »

QUOTE (Sand_Blaster @ Mar 26 2008, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll probably just buy a new clutch mine are pretty worn it looks like. Would a dale bike clutch work?

The basket may or may not be different on a bike, (more teeth) other than that its the same I think.

kdeal

#6 Post by kdeal »

Is it a hydro or cable clutch? I'll bet it is a hydro and you do not have it adjusted properly. Or you are missing parts. It is more common to have it not engage at all then it is to have it not disengage. The most common issue is where the last steel plate drops in front of the pressure plate having the clutch disengaged all the time. This is caused by the clutch being adjusted too tight. Try checking the clutch while the cover is off. You are only looking for a little movement of the clutch stack when the clutch lever is depressed.

zacke22

#7 Post by zacke22 »

lol..this same thing has happened to me before a few times. all i did was squeeze the lever a few times and it corrected itself. hasnt done it for a few months though...

Sand_Blaster

#8 Post by Sand_Blaster »

yup hydro.

wistech

#9 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (Sand_Blaster @ Mar 23 2008, 10:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Right now its got stiffer clutch springs to handle more power.

Where did you get the idea that we need stiffer clutch springs for more power?

Nickc711

#10 Post by Nickc711 »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Mar 28 2008, 08:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where did you get the idea that we need stiffer clutch springs for more power?

BW has them on their website