Overheated during poker run

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
mikecancu812

#1 Post by mikecancu812 »

I went to a poker run in Callensburg PA last weekend. It was a little bit muddy up there and my radiator plugged up at the end. Made it back to camp and it was steaming. Overflow was full, empty now. I let the motor cool off and it fired up. And it started fine the next day. Other than changing oil and antifreeze what other areas should I look at. I was runnin Amsoil and using Engine Ice.

claas900

#2 Post by claas900 »

Make sure the bleeder vent isn't plugged up. Do you still have the plastic pump impeller?

UpsMan

#3 Post by UpsMan »

If it still runs good, just run it. I did that last year, and it didn't do any damage. It will boil if the radiator gets plugged pretty quick. Amsoil is good stuff.

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

First thing I see on a really badly overheated motor is fried seals and O-rings.They will actually have blisters on them.Was any coolant left?Another preventive measure that needs mentioning again.

Everyone should have a hose clamp around thier coolant bottle cap and both ends of the bleed line.The cap is just plastic with only threads in four places.It easily distorts and will allow coolant out before its pressure released.

Canniboomer

#5 Post by Canniboomer »

Yep any leaking should be through the coolant bottle cap only, after reaching the 1.2 bar pressure which is about 17.5 psi.... so your system is may be working just fine as designed -- a plugged radiator is bad news, but so common for you mud racers -- I think the cDale has one of the best chances of enduring that punishment, since our coolant capacity is quite decent.

But when the level gets LOW, you can also lose bleed at the impeller, unless you have a non-plugged bleeder line as warned about in the above posts -- be sure to check for warming of the hoses before riding again.... if you have the old style of impeller cover, you may have to bleed it manually to purge the possible air in there.

Keep in mind, you do not have an overflow -- that bottle is part of the pressure section, and only up there to raise the coolant level above the coolant pump. You can think of the bottle as part of the radiator.

mikecancu812

#6 Post by mikecancu812 »

Finally tore into it a little bit today. Still have decent amount of antifreeze in radiator. Getting ready to make trip for more Engine Ice to fill it back up. Thanks for the help. I had the only Cannondale there at the poker run out of about 770 people. Lots of questions and thumbs up about it

jesshamner

#7 Post by jesshamner »

Make sure you drill out that bleeder nipple from the water pump cover. That really helped. I also built a mudscreen using the stock shrouds and some steel mesh 1/4" x 1/4". Don't forget to remove the radiator and blast all of the mud and grit from the fins. That stuff will get packed in there and set up like concrete.