Major Power Loss????

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
toothandnail

#1 Post by toothandnail »

I am having some trouble with figureing out what is causing the power loss on my dale. Previously I had been running the eliminator map in a 468, timbo head, harley inj. I had problems with the motor running too rich so I called timbo and he sent me a new map. Got that transferred to my ecu and got it all tweaked with AFR and butt dyno. Took it too an ATV rodeo (due to rainouts on every other race that week) and it ran perfect. Dale sat for about a week and a half. Went out and started it every 3 days and left it on a trickle charger also. Took it out this past weekend to a TT race and the bike began losing power. Practice was good but as the night went on the bike was not pulling as it should. Took it out on the highway today and it runs like a blaster. Note the map that was on the ecu ran fine before this weekend so I don't think it has anything to do with the ecu. I am pretty sure both injectors are working properly because the bike would be backfireing due to being lean. The clutch is beginning to go out but not entirely sure if that is what is affecting it. Any help is much appreciated. I have a race in 2 weeks and would like to have it running like before by this weekend. Thanks!

2000ex

#2 Post by 2000ex »

I would do a compression check and see what you have

toothandnail

#3 Post by toothandnail »

QUOTE (2000ex @ Aug 18 2008, 06:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would do a compression check and see what you have

What compression should it have?

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

90-120psi

claas900

#5 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (tooth&nail @ Aug 18 2008, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am having some trouble with figureing out what is causing the power loss on my dale. Previously I had been running the eliminator map in a 468, timbo head, harley inj. I had problems with the motor running too rich so I called timbo and he sent me a new map. Got that transferred to my ecu and got it all tweaked with AFR and butt dyno. Took it too an ATV rodeo (due to rainouts on every other race that week) and it ran perfect. Dale sat for about a week and a half. Went out and started it every 3 days and left it on a trickle charger also. Took it out this past weekend to a TT race and the bike began losing power. Practice was good but as the night went on the bike was not pulling as it should. Took it out on the highway today and it runs like a blaster. Note the map that was on the ecu ran fine before this weekend so I don't think it has anything to do with the ecu. I am pretty sure both injectors are working properly because the bike would be backfireing due to being lean. The clutch is beginning to go out but not entirely sure if that is what is affecting it. Any help is much appreciated. I have a race in 2 weeks and would like to have it running like before by this weekend. Thanks!

I've had a bike run bad from a bad water temp sensor. It was kinda hit and miss how it would run,start. But it wouldn't do it all the time. Also another thing (tip) if your clutch is going bad,replace it I've had a fiber disc break and wipe out the oil pump gears,not a fun thing to have happen.

toothandnail

#6 Post by toothandnail »

QUOTE (claas900 @ Aug 18 2008, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've had a bike run bad from a bad water temp sensor. It was kinda hit and miss how it would run,start. But it wouldn't do it all the time. Also another thing (tip) if your clutch is going bad,replace it I've had a fiber disc break and wipe out the oil pump gears,not a fun thing to have happen.

Yeah I was planning on replacing it. I have a new one waiting to be put in.

I found something new when I was taking the fuel tank off to do the compression check. The fuel line going into the top of the tank was leaking ( line had a hole in it ). Could a drop in fuel pressure cause a loss in power without causing the bike to lean out too much?

2000ex

#7 Post by 2000ex »

It would be leaking fuel all over the place. Also that is the return line (assuming as you say there was one fuel line at the top of the tank). I dont think that would cause your power loss, but it may cause the bike to sputter and run poorly.

toothandnail

#8 Post by toothandnail »

OK I did a compression test and got 50 lbs. I also have another question. Does the 90-120 lbs of compression take into consideration the compression release on the cannondale?

thedeatons

#9 Post by thedeatons »

Did you do that test holding the throttle wide open? That must happen to get an accurate reading. Are you cranking the quad over with the battery?

Can you check battery voltage for us? Static and while charging?

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

Deatons asks some important questions since 50psi is right at the limit of where a motor will start. Yes the 90-120 psi takes the decomp into account. It is also with throttle held wide open and probably about 3-5 revs of motor.