antifreeze leak

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Denny08

#1 Post by Denny08 »

Just got the blaze running and I noticed a little drip of coolant coming out of the pin hole under the water inpeller cover any suggestions

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (Denny @ Sep 1 2008, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just got the blaze running and I noticed a little drip of coolant coming out of the pin hole under the water inpeller cover any suggestions

Its either leaking through the seal itself or around the outside. You will have to pull the cover and impellar. That a sucky job in frame. You need to put gasket sealant around the seal when installing or they might leak. And the seal must be flush with the cover as well. A big flat washer temprarily (couple hours)behind the impellar will hold it still till the sealer dries. Just dont forget to remove the washer before installing the cover.

thedeatons

#3 Post by thedeatons »

Kdeal mentioned to me about using a lot of assembly lube on the inside of the water seal or else the cam may burn the inside of the seal during the first startup of the engine. There was a recent thread about this, and it's actually more common than I thought to seal up the weep hole. You could tap the hole, install a bleed nipple, and run a hose from it to the top of the coolant reservoir, so it recirculates that coolant you are dripping. Just hope you never weep oil out of it I suppose....

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

Just replace and grease the seal.Dont plug the weep hole.

Denny08

#5 Post by Denny08 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Sep 1 2008, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just replace and grease the seal.Dont plug the weep hole.

thanks for the info I was scared it was something bad that I would have to pull the motor and start over

Denny08

#6 Post by Denny08 »

QUOTE (Denny @ Sep 1 2008, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks for the info I was scared it was something bad that I would have to pull the motor and start over

I guess before I get to pulling things are you guys talking about the impellar cover

kdeal

#7 Post by kdeal »

The seal in question is the one behind the water pump impeller, but is clamped down by the valve cover. There are two seals back to back. they need to face each other so the middle stays dry. The oil seal towards the inside almost never leaks, but the outer water seal is a P.I.T.A. mad.gif

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

It's not that bad. 1hr and you should be set. Just use a wood screw to pull the old seal out. Then grease on inside of new one and silicone on outside. It will push right in.

Denny08

#9 Post by Denny08 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Sep 1 2008, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its not that bad.1hr and you should be set.Just use a wood screw to pull the old seal out.Then grease on inside of new one and silicone on outside.It will push right in.

So just pull the impellar cover take the impellar off and pull that seal out correct?

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes.