cutting out

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Denny08

#1 Post by Denny08 »

took the blaze out riding yesterday everything was going good for about the first half hour then it would just die like it was out of fuel,but as soon as I would stop hit the start button it start right up.So i go for about another 5 minutes or so it would just die , but it always start right and idle.Then it would be fine for 15 minutes and do it again,but the more i road the worse it got to the point to where it would just idle, if I gave it any fuel it would just sputter and die .

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

Sounds like the fuel quick disconnect fittings. Have you ever gutted them? The inner o-ring tends to swell and they shut the flow of fuel off.

Denny08

#3 Post by Denny08 »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Oct 19 2008, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds like the fuel quick disconnect fittings. Have you ever gutted them? The inner o-ring tends to swell and they shut the flow of fuel off.

not the quick disconnect ,got rid of them

rayspeed

#4 Post by rayspeed »

If it was a real warm day you could have had a bit of a vaporlock kind of thing going on... did you happen to notice if the pump was running but the filter was dry? If you got more then ten hours on the fuel filter then change it.
Maybe check your oil filter for metal just to be sure... check your stator and make sure nothing came loose in there or is rubbing and if everything looks ok take it out on a cooler day and ride more faster!

thedeatons

#5 Post by thedeatons »

Do you have status lights? It would be nice to know whether the computer is throwing a fault code...

10 hours on the fuel filter!! That seems pretty low. I have 800+ miles on my dirtbike and at an average speed of ~33mph I have ~24 hours on it. No plans to change the filter, as it runs just fine... smile.gif I think I change fuel filters once a year....

Perhaps it's the coil getting hot?

You could try installing a cheap fuel pressure gauge?!?

SlOoT

#6 Post by SlOoT »

It could be the sparkplug or coil.

wistech

#7 Post by wistech »

Id go with coil but changing the fuel filter is easy and quick. Dont forget about the suction screen in the tank. I hope nobody is still using the utter crap stock fuel filters. The Fram G2's have ten times the capacity.

MyCannibal

#8 Post by MyCannibal »

Could be electrical...whenever you hit the gas theres more vibration which could be causing the cut out too...did you check ALL connections?..had something similar happen to me.

Denny08

#9 Post by Denny08 »

QUOTE (MyCannibal @ Oct 20 2008, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Could be electrical...whenever you hit the gas theres more vibration which could be causing the cut out too...did you check ALL connections?..had something similar happen to me.

sorry it took a while to get back . I checked all the connections and they seemed to be okay. Could it be the off and on switch or the clutch safety switch (I know I should tie those together).When I put the motor back together I had a problem with the fuel pump not working but I got it going.Just as long as it is nothing internal I'll be happy

Canniboomer

#10 Post by Canniboomer »

It would not be the clutch interlock, since that only controls current to the starter solenoid.

Sudden stalling can be caused by a bad start-run switch, a bad red stop switch (like the early red round version (momentary OFF)), or anything that would interrupt power to the ECU.
A bad ignition keyswitch could cause the same thing, if the run circuit loses any continuity with vibrations. You could try the next position with the headlights ON, just to rule out the vertical position of the key switch. If it quits stalling with the headlights ON, then it's either the keyswitch itself, or you could maybe have a bad voltage regulator.