No Start

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
bluethunder

#1 Post by bluethunder »

I got my timing corrected in my engine, reinstalled, and still no fire.

It will turn over and over and over and occasionally give a backfire but not even try to start. Has compression, flywheel is brand new and lines up, timing is for sure correct now, Has good gas, fresh oils, etc, new battery, new coil, injectors were just replaced, I've done a throttle cal on it and it has the map for it's engine setup in it. And the cables are all for sure hooked up. The harness still had the easy to read tags on the connectors.

Not sure what else to look for. Fuel is also returning to the tank and not being blocked, and the pump is pumping just fine.

Any suggestions where else to look? It's driving me mad. Have never had the quad running since I've owned it.

Canniboomer

#2 Post by Canniboomer »

You could try some different idle screw settings. Or with a D&M kit you could pre-set it to about 6.5% cold, and watch the screen % as you move the thumb throttle to full open and back. You could also try retrieving the settings again from the ECU, just to make sure the calibrations actually TOOK.

Are you getting any faults on the monitor screen? Are you smelling gas out of the exhaust yet?

With a fresh and tight motor, that battery is maybe only good for about 20 turnover attempts -- after some point it will lack enough oomph to start, but it will continue turning over.

67z400

#3 Post by 67z400 »

I would reccomend lookin at the battery. Most issues I have had with my bike were due to the battery not having a full charge. You would be suprised how much a small difference in charge can make.

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

If you dont have D&M I would state what kind of motor you have ie ported,airbox,stock injectors then send the ECU and throttlebody off to someone with dealercal who can program it and make sure everything is right including throttlecal.

If you do have D&M take a look at the Throttle position sensor.Put D&M on Monitor and as you open throttle you should see it rise in a linear fashion not skipping numbers.What is the Throttle % at idle set at?

bluethunder

#5 Post by bluethunder »

I am going to take this all in and look at sometime soon. Have to work 14hrs tomorrow starting at 4am so going to sleep shortly. Thanks for the help.

I do have a D&M running I believe terminator map I found on here. No airbox with pod filter, ported head, 450 piston, stock Z crank, HMF exhaust, ported throttle body, stock injectors.

EDIT: It does have gas smell out of exhaust, new spark plug, battery is brand new and fully charged each time I try. Will hook up D&M next day I get off early/off and check other things.

MX Quad Dad

#6 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Have you checked for spark? Like boomer said if cranking takes enough juice it may not have enough to fire, so if you have a spark with the plug out of the engine, try useing a second plug and check for spark while the engine has compression.

When I have a problem the first thing I check are the grounds. one at each bolt of the fuel pressure regulater an one on the left headlight mount, left headlight mount ground is on the earlier frames, not sure were they moved it to on the later frames.

Crazie

#7 Post by Crazie »

My issue could have been completely unrelated to yours, but a couple of quick checks would be the flywheel and crank pickup. I had a bunch of metal shavings on my pickup and it was causing me not to get any spark. When I finally did get spark, I found out the flywheel I put on was spun, so my spark wasn't occurring at the right time, thus no starting.

bluethunder

#8 Post by bluethunder »

All grounds are good, tps seems to be good, have tried 2 different ecu's, flywheel is good and no shavings anywhere/ligns up good, has good spark, has good compression, but just turns and turns without firing.

I get a nice backfire/flame out the exhaust every few tries and I'll sometimes hear a little squeak coming from the intake area. Tried a brand new plug as well and still nothing.

Running out of ideas to try here and it's really getting frustrating. Any gurus with an idea? Was hoping to ride this thing soon but still no luck. Doesn't even try to start running.

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

What is your compression?

thedeatons

#10 Post by thedeatons »

If your compression is NOT about 90psi, add two capfulls of oil and then try cranking it again. We had a quad do this at the dunes, it was not starting well with good compression, then a bunch of starting fluid was added by the owner, which washed out the oil sel on the rings. After he did that we checked compression and it was 30psi. SO... We added 2-3 capfulls of oil, then checked compression, and it was back up to 90psi. After that the bike cranked right up and ran perfectly all weekend. This is a good reason why starting fluid is only good in moderation.