I hate to bring this up but ......

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
cannondale27

#21 Post by cannondale27 »

Probably best. I remember how I hated hitting neutral with 250r all the time. Much better to have it hard to hit like Cannondale and Banshee was also hard to find neutral if I remember right. Maybe anything with real power they design to not hit neutral. What do you think Deatons tongue.gif

Crazie

#22 Post by Crazie »

The more I learn the more amazed I am at the R&D that went in to these machines!

thedeatons

#23 Post by thedeatons »

90% of the time I use my hand to shift into neutral....

MX Quad Dad

#24 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Well, in talking to my son about my theroy of that clutch disc mkeing it hard to find neutral, he made a ruthless comment on why I think its harder to find neutral. he said it would be easyer if I would ride it a little. Although that hurt I didn't even have to think about it to realise he was right. Last year I felt I didn't ride enough and this year was so bad I feel like I don't have the right to own a C-dale.

Who would have thought? What looked like a thread that was going to get all heated up about oils and how to check it would turn into a finding neutral discussion. I like it when people who disagree get into a heated discussion, it shows they care and have some pride. but it is even better when we we respect other peoples ideals.

On the subject of oil. I would like to know if anyone has ever done a dyno test on the differant trany oils. the reason I ask is, a while back LUCAS made an additive you added to your oil. They had a little display that had two set of plastic gears and a hand cranks in two seprate comparments. with enough oil to cover about 1/4 of the bottom gear. on the oil with the additive the oil would cling to the gears and climb to the top but not on the other side. But, there was a noticeable differance on the amout of force required to crank the gears. for the type of riding I do, I shouldn't worry about such a minamall HP loss. but what can I say, I'm gready. and with a oil pump in the trany I don't think the clingy oil is a requirement.

2mike18

#25 Post by 2mike18 »

my motor was dyno run with synthetic motor oil and automotive atf if I remember right. I suppose it works in cars and in theory a friction plate is a friction plate so lets see how long it goes.

thedeatons

#26 Post by thedeatons »

The "clingy stuff" is RedLine Lightweight ShockProof Gear oil, which is a lightweight synthetic. I cannot imagine it detracting from horsepower too much, even if it did the added protection is well worth it. Consider the oil is sticking to everything at startup, cam gears, timing chain, tranny, etc.... The protection is second to none.

MX Quad Dad

#27 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Well I can understand what you are saying and it dose sound logical. But I believe a good synthetic is more than adequate. The cdale is the first four stroke quads I have owened but have run 10w40 in many two stroke bikes and our Banshee and haven't had any tranny problems.

rayspeed

#28 Post by rayspeed »

I predicted two hijackings, (at least that many so far wacko.gif ) four pages (almost there mellow.gif ) and a full on debate over oils unsure.gif (redline vs gear oil and motor oil) and a venture into the ditch (finding neutral issue). laugh.gif
Its just a little early but whadda ya think? Can I claim a victory! rolleyes.gif

Did anyone notice that this guy won this machine and probably wont even ride it.
I have to wonder what he thinks the actual value of what he has is...10k possibly? mellow.gif
He plans to sell it for what he says is dirt cheap... I just hope for his sake that he does not have to pay taxes on the full msrp in a 25% tax bracket. mad.gif

Somebody needs to break it to him that there are some really spectacular machines with full updates, lots of nice extras and bolt ons for sale for around 3k... and they are not even getting good bites.
OOps I just did... hope he is not spending the money that he thinks he is going to get!

BTW dont you think atk woudl have done their neutral mod?

One more prediction if I may... cool.gif

One parting out of a brand new atk machine... now there will be something you wont see everyday!
So if he is reading this... might not spend too much more time worrying about getting it running....
Just sayin... no offense.
Much as I hate to see a dale parted..... this might seem different for some reason!

Whadda think guys another ditch? Worth more running or parted?

thedeatons

#29 Post by thedeatons »

I have honestly considered parting my Moto/Glamis from a financial standpoint (because frankly I need the money). I don't think it would bring what ya might think. Steve (27) has a set of Moto Ohlins with a fresh rebuild for $450. Last year those would have been around $1000.

I mean, if someone were to trade me all stock parts (axle/a-arms/shocks) I could essentially do a trade, but it would cost someone anywhere from $1700-$2000 for my Moto parts... The whole quad is only $1200 more!!! What the heck...

cannondale27

#30 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes its unbelievable how low things are.Frustrating.But most are worried for sure.Rayspeed I bet your right unless he sells that quad for $1500 and a kid can buy it it will end up being parted out.