Best way to get down to 96db???

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Crazie

#21 Post by Crazie »

From what I know, the technology is already there. I haven't seen the tests to back it up, but Venom Performance makes exhausts that are supposed to be high power and meet 96dB limit.

John Mixxer is the owner of the company and he made the Pulse Charger exhausts previously. Some of you who have kept up with other quads/sites may have heard about him (lots of drama when he first started his business).

Anyways, he does a lot of work, with exhausts being part of it. Not sure if he'd be willing due to the small community, but it might be worth contacting him.

When I had my Z400 I tested his pipe vs. a Sparks and his was just as good for power and a ton quieter. There have been some dynos done with some pipes, but I'm not sure where those charts are anymore.

desertbound

#22 Post by desertbound »

QUOTE (Crazie @ Dec 13 2008, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From what I know, the technology is already there. I haven't seen the tests to back it up, but Venom Performance makes exhausts that are supposed to be high power and meet 96dB limit.

John Mixxer is the owner of the company and he made the Pulse Charger exhausts previously. Some of you who have kept up with other quads/sites may have heard about him (lots of drama when he first started his business).

Anyways, he does a lot of work, with exhausts being part of it. Not sure if he'd be willing due to the small community, but it might be worth contacting him.

When I had my Z400 I tested his pipe vs. a Sparks and his was just as good for power and a ton quieter. There have been some dynos done with some pipes, but I'm not sure where those charts are anymore.

I am friends with Kam from KBR. He is Mixxer's main vendor. I can talk to him if people are interested. Venom make nice products, but Mixxer is a head case. He bashes any and all other builders for no apparent reason. His stuff works though, I'll give him that.

MX Quad Dad

#23 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Well; I never even seen a sound check done. From what I have read it can be affected by anything nearby that sound can bounce off of. How would other quads/bikes running nearby affect the test?
At the nationals I have been to. the tech inspection is kaos. I have seen quads roll (forced) through the 50" measuring devise and lift it up off the ground and the rider kick it off the tires and he would roll out of inspection PASSED. If they can't get that done right, how can they get something as technical as a sound check right?

UpsMan

#24 Post by UpsMan »

If the atva really is serious about this issue, I'm sure they could train a couple of people to handle the national testing. The testing is affected by background noise, terrain and probably even the weather.

I remember Mixxer from one of the other forums a few years ago, yeah, always major drama. He'd fit in good here. Someone give him a cannondale and let the fun begin!

wistech

#25 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (MX Quad Dad @ Dec 14 2008, 06:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well; I never even seen a sound check done. From what I have read it can be affected by anything nearby that sound can bounce off of. How would other quads/bikes running nearby affect the test?
At the nationals I have been to. the tech inspection is kaos. I have seen quads roll (forced) through the 50" measuring devise and lift it up off the ground and the rider kick it off the tires and he would roll out of inspection PASSED. If they can't get that done right, how can they get something as technical as a sound check right?

Thats why they zero the meter against the background niose before the test.

Crazie

#26 Post by Crazie »

QUOTE (desertbound @ Dec 14 2008, 01:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am friends with Kam from KBR. He is Mixxer's main vendor. I can talk to him if people are interested. Venom make nice products, but Mixxer is a head case. He bashes any and all other builders for no apparent reason. His stuff works though, I'll give him that.

Me and a few guys I ride with did tests on the Pulse Charger way back when. Mixxer definitely surrounded himself in drama, but he does make some kick *** products. I'd say give him a call, but I would wonder what the minimum order would be, since I know Mixxer would be doing a lot of testing if he did it.

cannondale27

#27 Post by cannondale27 »

I would steer anyone making pipes towards duals.Those with Ohlins rear would have a issue though even though a power killer has anyone ever found a way to do duals with Ohlins rezzy and still have one can each side?

MX Quad Dad

#28 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Dec 14 2008, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thats why they zero the meter against the background niose before the test.

But what I'm tring to say is that with all the kaos, people, quads and even vehicals pulling trailos past the tech inspection area. they need an area away from traffic and be able to control the people roaming around. Maybe thing have changed in the past few years. and I haven't been to very many Nationals, soo maybe its only that way at the few i've been to

MX Quad Dad

#29 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (UpsMan @ Dec 14 2008, 09:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If the atva really is serious about this issue, I'm sure they could train a couple of people to handle the national testing. The testing is affected by background noise, terrain and probably even the weather.

Really serious means willing to spend some money. I' not sure if its the tracks responsibilty to provide the tech inspectors or ATVA provides them, but the only national track I would reconise any regular track workers would be Red Bud and its been a few years but i think most tech inspectors we regular track workers

they may even be volinteers? just a little story about volinteer tech inspectors. my sons first year in 4H archery in the tech inspection line a youth in front of us had his bow passed with an over-draw. over-draws were not allowed and I can see were it might be a safty issue. I mentioned it to the tech, and he asked me what an over-draw was. now I am not a hunter and at that time not even an archer. i did have a bow, but it was at least 12 years pre over-draw and I hadn't shot it in almost 8 years, and I knew what a over-draw was. I know every one will say all kinds of stuff about 4H and I would probubly agree with most but, I am talking about a large number of youths with leathel wepons