Couple ????

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
desertbound

#31 Post by desertbound »

Steve set my intake side. .0085 at the cam gear side and .010 at the impeller. A little loose but valves usually tighten a little and I honestly feel that was smart because it's now set pretty much perfect. I thought he made a custom shim for one of them so I'll measure will my calipers to get an exact measurement on the shim.The exhaust side he guessed because I had a bad cam and sticky bucket in my old head. He didn't want to set and locktight because I replaced the exhaust cam with a new one with an updated decompression. With the shims Steve put in there I was at .014 at the decompression and .0155 at the seal. It was within spec and the shim table didn't give me a shim number to swap to because of that.

desertbound

#32 Post by desertbound »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Dec 18 2008, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nothin bad with your valve lash. My specs are .005 intake and .010 exhaust on all engines to control noise and cam wear. They will run forever that tight but Ive never gone tighter to find the limit. So you have metal in the crankcase? Small flecks or needle shards?

Small specs from break in. No shards. All stuck to the magnet. Nothing in the oil filter and only a little tiny ball of assembly lube in the inlet filter. My oil still looked new(purple) and I didn't find any shaving or anything like that when I ran it through a rag. The shards were in the tranny side which is why I thought bad. I thought maybe a shift fork spring got eaten up. Both are there though.

What about the rust on the plug??

Crazie

#33 Post by Crazie »

You're not missing any small wrenches, bolts, nuts or sockets are you?

Just kidding! biggrin.gif

In all seriousness though, if everything seems intact and nothing is loose, do you think you could have dropped a small washer or spring or something during the rebuild? Seems unlikely, but if you can't find anything obvious, that's the only thing I could think of.

desertbound

#34 Post by desertbound »

I guess anything could of happend, but I wasn't missing anything. I guess I'll make sure everything is lubed, adjust my valves and put it back together.

cannondale27

#35 Post by cannondale27 »

I set the valves at max clearance because the previous valvejob put a burr in the seat within 5hrs. Remember these are Titanium valves. I would reset the valves at Max clearance like I did and hopefully they stop sinking in. I doubt that is source of your noise. Is it possible the gas had water in it? Either way I would get a can of some different gas preferably VP. I don't trust anything else and you are at 14.5:1.

desertbound

#36 Post by desertbound »

I'm positive the gas was good. F&L is good fuel. I have used it for years. I'll try different fuel and see if that helps. My yfz was 14-1 and I used the same fuel. So I should set the valves towards the upper range of valve lash.

wistech

#37 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (desertbound @ Dec 18 2008, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm positive the gas was good. F&L is good fuel. I have used it for years. I'll try different fuel and see if that helps. My yfz was 14-1 and I used the same fuel. So I should set the valves towards the upper range of valve lash.
Metal comes from somewhere. Take a look at your one way bearing rollers. And I mean disassemble and look at them individually. Polish the gripping surface of the one way gear while your at it.

desertbound

#38 Post by desertbound »

I'll take a look at it. The one way bearing is new also.

cannondale27

#39 Post by cannondale27 »

I may have missed it but did you get crank out yet to check all its bearings? Did this frame or motor previously have metal in it? Oh and valve shims are standard ones like Suzuki and many others run. Can't remember dia. No cut shims in there.

desertbound

#40 Post by desertbound »

No metal in it previously. I haven't pulled the crank side out yet because I thought it was the tranny. I'm gonna pull the crank side today.