puking oil

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
kevin444

#1 Post by kevin444 »

hello again all.....i've done my reseach and have talked to a few of the grand masters here on this topic. finally got my quad up and running with little over an hour of beak in time.....and shes making alot of power. my only major problent o deal with now is tat she is still puking oil....."engine oil", at the front air box location, which has a K&N breather on it. i'm going to drain the fluidds again and sart off with 1 1/2 qts and see whay happens.

has anyone done anything other than the upgraded oil lines and playing with the oil amount. what about using a PCV valve to relive some of the preassure in other locations. i'm know this has been looked at and talked many...many differnt ways, i just hate oil leaks, and this whole puking thing with owning a dale is really annoying! sorry had to vent....haha like a the quad, but with no oil.

any ideas?

MX Quad Dad

#2 Post by MX Quad Dad »

My first thought would be, oil overfilled. When you drain, there is i bbelieve three hoses hooked to a section of the frame on the right side just above the drive sprocket. you should pull the bottom one off to drain that small section since you have oil coming out the breather.

My next thought would be, it sounds like you did a breather update, if so, are you sure it is correct?

kevin444

#3 Post by kevin444 »

yea, i know the correct process....just looking for other ideas on this well known issue, such as venting in other locations ofher than the known areas....

thanks

claas900

#4 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (kevin444 @ Jan 21 2009, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yea, i know the correct process....just looking for other ideas on this well known issue, such as venting in other locations ofher than the known areas....

thanks

What year is the bike,does it have the vent line update? If so then odds are something else is wrong with the motor. They shouldn't puke oil no matter what. Did you test for oil leaks before the motor was put back in?

SlOoT

#5 Post by SlOoT »

Canniboomer has also another breather update kit.

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

My first thought is a correct running dale with the hoses routed correctly should never puke oil even at 1.75 quarts. Do a cyllinder leakdown test to confirm you dont have to much blowby that is overwhelming the system. Do you have gapless rings? What is your ring gap? Whats the compresion. Have you verified oil flow through the frame fill hole to check for scavange pump operation? Have you thought about an oil catch can like running the hose into a soda bottle to see if it will stop after it gets down to a certain level. I just run the oil vent hose straight down from the frame on a lot of engines so even if it does "puke " which has never been an issue it will just go onto the ground or right above the chain instead of the stupid idea of putting it above and in front to hose down the engine. You can put a breather on it but since it exhausts pressure only its kind of pointless. Heck put a pcv valve on the end of the hose . The only thing I have ever done different in ventalation is run the starter clutch vent to the left upper frame fitting and the other ones to the right fitting. This eliminted the tee fittings and the crossover tunes like in soots pics. It was done for clearance and to reroute hoses for the dual headpipes.
Aslo check your engine to make sure it can hold 5 to 7 psi without to much leakdown . Its really simple since all you have to do to pressure test is put regulated air pressure with a lever valve on the breather hose and just watch how fast the gauge goes down. A pefect engine will take a few minutes to 10 minutes leak air down . If the rings or valves are leaking bad it will bleed off in 5 to 30 seconds.
As far as breather "updates" from the factory I believe it was just a bandaid to try to make up for the engine issues that many quads had. Mainly wiseco pistons and many oring and seal leaks. The only reason they really need the update is to get rid of the PITA banjo bolt for oil changes in the scavange cover.

cdsracer

#7 Post by cdsracer »

The only times that I've seen them puke is when they're overfilled or the scavenge pump is not working. I'd check for flow from the scavenge pump through the frame first, if it is working then you might just be overfilled.

thedeatons

#8 Post by thedeatons »

I agree it is probably much simpler than you think....

NRath

#9 Post by NRath »

QUOTE (MX Quad Dad @ Jan 22 2009, 12:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My first thought would be, oil overfilled. When you drain, there is i bbelieve three hoses hooked to a section of the frame on the right side just above the drive sprocket. you should pull the bottom one off to drain that small section since you have oil coming out the breather.

I'd second checking/draining the little reservoir in the frame. If there's oil in there, chances are good it's going to come out of the vent hose.

jesshamner

#10 Post by jesshamner »

Yep, that happened to me right after my rebuild and filling up the fluids. That part of the frame was full of oil still. Drained it and no more puking.