puking oil

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
MX Quad Dad

#11 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Wisetech, I always though the update wasn't anything important. infact haven't done it to my Speed yet. We've had two incedents with oil from the breather. First time was noticed after a race weekend, and after oil change, no problems. the second was after a crash which involed the quad running upside-down.

Oh yeah the first time was before update on the Moto and it was in 2002. We also filled the oil to the ridge on the dipstick every oil change at that time and only had the puking one time.

wistech

#12 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (MX Quad Dad @ Jan 22 2009, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wisetech, I always though the update wasn't anything important. infact haven't done it to my Speed yet. We've had two incedents with oil from the breather. First time was noticed after a race weekend, and after oil change, no problems. the second was after a crash which involed the quad running upside-down.

Oh yeah the first time was before update on the Moto and it was in 2002. We also filled the oil to the ridge on the dipstick every oil change at that time and only had the puking one time.

So true ,I only just did the update to my speed recently . Only spit a little out once after a 6 mile lake run with 2 quarts at the rev limiter. That was back in 03.
Kind of the same logic as running a hotter and hotter plug to compensate for a overly rich running engine. Fix the problem not the symtom.

MX Quad Dad

#13 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I also agree with the "PITA Banjo" fitting. I bought the manetic plugs from Kdeal and putting them in will be the only reason I would change the OEM set-up.

speedracer

#14 Post by speedracer »

Mine puked because the scavange pump gear broke in half(plastic gear).

wistech

#15 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (speedracer @ Jan 22 2009, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mine puked because the scavange pump gear broke in half(plastic gear).

I got a NACS quad in that ran for a long time with a broken scavange pump gear. The quad puked a lot of oil but when the crankcase filled up with oil it was blasting oil back into the frame through the breather to keep the engine alive. Everything was fine and the cams and crank survived with no wear. Boy did it blow oil out though . A gusher.

speedracer

#16 Post by speedracer »

A gusher is right,like a garden hose!LOL

wistech

#17 Post by wistech »

Now I remember what caused it. The piston pin access cover bolt fell out into the gears. Sad thing was the quad had good locktite on all the crank plate and tranny bolts but they didnt do the little ones worth a crap that day at the factory. LOL

kevin444

#18 Post by kevin444 »

please take a look at me newest topic.......i'm gettig frustrated here! then i will work on the puking problem again.....

thanks

jinx44

#19 Post by jinx44 »

So the original cannibal that I got running is still puking oil. Its been over a year, tried everything, read countless topics on here, and nothing has fixed it. Engine has been back apart since the intial build and everything was fine. It does it mainly when under higher RPMs in the higher gears.

With no solution to the problem, and since I am tired of having oil all over the front end of my bike after every ride, I am building a catch can.

My plan is to run the main vent hose into the side of the can, with a barb on the bottom of the can that will return the oil to the vent line that crosses over from one side of the frame to the other. That will let any accumulated oil run back into the frame. There will of course be a vent on the top.

2000ex

#20 Post by 2000ex »

Strange. The only issue I have seen is what has been stated before. Scavenge pump gears stripped or overfilled. Shoot even last week when I was at Timbo's who has built COUNTLESS motors...was finishing his ice race and pulled back into the pits and sure enough puking oil everywhere.

Fired it up, oil was surely flowing by the dipstick so the gears were working. When he installed the motor he did not completely drain the frame and added 1.5 quarts and had the same issue you are having. Here is a guy who does this all day every day and I was like I bet you overfilled it by mistake. Guess who was right smile.gif

What I am saying is even pro's at these things can make a mistake and have the same issues you are having. Double check your frame and make 100% sure it is oil free